Prompt 28 - Template -> Contemplate (contemplated)

A/N:

This was Lizzypoo's idea and they sparked an interest in me. So yeah. Have fun with it :D

Template -> Contemplate (contemplated)

The distance was the worst part for Eddy.

He couldn't speak to the entity, he couldn't touch them, he couldn't be with them, but he loved watching them. He could only sneak a few glances; otherwise it would be too obvious thanks to the glass. The entity smiled at him fleetingly, in passing when they came out of the meeting room. But that was more than enough for Eddy to instantly fall in love.

Their clothes were pure white and they floated, while a warm light was emitted from their form. The only contrast was the black hair and the dark eyes. If one asked Eddy what he saw, he would have answered "god" straight up. Their face was so beautifully aligned; it was a sight to behold. The face let everyone question himself if they are indeed beautiful or not; even Eddy contemplated it for a moment.

Eddy saw the creature all the time. Their interplanetary space station was a junction for all aliens to come first when they wanted to enter part Beta-Minus-Eight-Four-Quadrant-Omega-Four-Two. It was the official name for their 'Milky Way'. Space was a lot bigger than everyone thought and in the year 2852, the year of the mighty dragon in Chinese calendars, the first intergalactic spaceship came to ask for their entrance into the Milky Way.

So yeah, that marked the start of many, many encounters from way outta space they had ever imagined.

3044 was the year - also a year of the mighty dragon - when Eddy joined the space station and later that year he met the floating, gorgeous entity. Interspecies marriage – or 'mating' for some species – was absolutely legal and even encouraged by the Government. Humans were seen as lucky charms everywhere – since they persisted in even the worst conditions – so a lot of aliens wanted to have a human spouse. That made the human line thin out a bit since there were a lot of mix breeds. Eddy was one of the few pure humans, since his parents and ancestors never left earth in the first place. They just never met an alien. Well, Eddy did for them endlessly.

He sent a lot of pictures down for his parents' amusement. Visiting his parents was not easy since they were 50 light years away (900.000 regular years for a human since 1 light year was 18.000 years), but talking was easy. Thankfully their scientists developed – with help of course – a way of transportation and communication even before they left their earth in the first place. It still took Eddy almost a week to get home. So visiting wasn't easy, but possible.

Nowadays Eddy's digital phone – which was just a piece of unbreakable glass in rectangular form where his thoughts and feelings were projected on – was filled with only pics of the entity. When they were floating by, coming, going, in the meeting room – thankfully it was all glass so Eddy had a wonderful view – and since Eddy worked as a glorified secretary he was always the first the entity saw. But other than the first smile, the entity didn't spare a glance at the human - as any other alien for that matter. Being purely human was rare but not as rare and interesting as trading routes and all that legal shit with the higher ups.

Eddy sneaked a glance again but was disturbed by a thick stack of glass that was thrown onto his desk. He grimaced and looked at his supervisor - a mix between something ugly and even uglier – and raised his eyebrow, "Hello Shad, please remove your work from my pretty and clean desk."

Eddy was a neat freak and liked to have his things in order and clean (thank you space engineers that everything was glass or high polished white; it was a dream for Eddy), unless a certain someone whose desk was like a battlefield. Even the pretty clean glass cup of coffee was lip-marks free on his desk.

"Fuck you, earthling, do your work. Here is work."

Eddy grimaced and nudged the glass – all reports his supervisor had to do. It was covered in something slimy and disgusting. Eddy wiped not so discreetly his hands clean.

"No. That's the report that was needed three week ago. You said you already did that to Shal'ari." Shal'ari was the supervisor of his supervisor and therefore Shad's – or 'Chad' as Eddy mentally called him – boss, "So why is that not done already?"

"It's your job, earthling," the ugly creature barked. Eddy raised the second eyebrow. He was not paid enough for this shit.

"Nope, it's not," and with that he got up, straightened his grey uniform, nodded to Shad/Chad and went to his supervisor's office. He sneaked another glance at the entity and was surprised to see the dark eyes staring back at him. Only for a second, then the entity turned his head again. Well, that was nice, Eddy thought; his yearning and want to touch the entity grew bigger. But now he had a whole new problem. He was sick of doing Shad/Chad's work and that fucker got the praise for it. So he went into the office after knocking politely.

A small conversation later Eddy was back at his desk and Shad/Chad was angrily packing his stuff. Ah yes, he should have done that way sooner. Thankfully all their workplaces were supervised as well as video recorded and so Eddy's words were backed up. Now Eddy had all the time in the world to watch the dark haired entity again.

And just in that moment, another one came floating in. It had the typical flowy white dress but their hair was short and elegantly styled. It had warm brown eyes and emitted a soft pastel pink light. It immediately changed to a soft warm white when Eddy smiled up at them. Sadly those beings didn't carry name tags, like he did. Otherwise he would have already learned their names.

"Hello and welcome to the Intergalactic Office of Communication and Trade. My name is Eddy Chen. How may I help you?"

The being pointed at one of the electronic devices which Eddy immediately picked up, still smiling, and held it in front of him. The entity brushed over it and all the necessary data, as well as the approved appointment, flared up on the glass screen. Eddy clicked a few buttons and placed the glass back on its designated place.

"Thank you very much. The office Number 0125-45H is reserved for you. Do you need me to guide you?" The entity shook its head softly, "I see. Thank you very much for coming here and I hope your negotiations will be successful."

Eddy got to his feet and bowed to the entity. They bowed back and slowly floated to the conference room Eddy mentioned.

The human sighed. Another beautiful one. He looked back and forth between the two and grinned. He loved his job! Even if pining from afar sucked hard. If asked, Eddy couldn't say which one he preferred more; both, probably.

The entities shared a look and nodded at each other. So they were probably from the same species. They looked similar, but that didn't necessarily mean anything. The human had seen it often enough that this wasn't the case.

Eddy got busy now, work was sadly more important than pining and staring at their clients after all. The first entity left the conference room and hovered by Eddy's desk. The human looked up and immediately got up, smiling at them.

"May I help you?"

The being motioned to the communicator; it was a translating device if one of their clients wanted to ask a specific question. Eddy immediately grabbed it and held it up.

~Staring is rude. But we like it~

Eddy flushed a bad shade of red; he resembled more a tomato than anything else. He stared at the being now, embarrassed at being caught. And now, now the being smiled again their beautiful smile and some more text appeared.

~Staring means you like us. That you want to 'mate' with us~

And now the being stared at him! Him, humble tiny Eddy! Oh god. He squeaked softly. Was getting hit on appropriately at work?!

~8pm, Intergalactic time +4h. Meerio's bar. Ask for 'Brett'. We will wait for you~

And with that the being floated away, leaving a flustered and beet red Eddy behind.

Oh boy. He really loved his job!

Words: 1424