Prompt 2 - Reflection (1 of 2)

Mirrors were his enemies. He hated them with passion. His hatred went as far as even hating glass panels. It didn't pose an issue until they moved in together.

Brett noticed fairly quickly when they moved in together that screens or mirrors were nothing Eddy liked that much. The mirrors that could not be removed - because they were owned by the landlord - were blanketed with thin blankets to cover the surface. The windows all had from the top to bottom curtains that were rarely opened. It was especially important to Eddy when it was dark outside. Eddy hated to see his own face, that was all Brett could think of. He didn't ask, but he simply took it in stride. It was who Eddy was, nothing more, nothing less.

It was a usual night, Brett was out and about, doing what-not, and Eddy stayed home. He sat on the couch, some K-Drama was running on the TV and he was on his phone, scrolling Instagram. He sighed; the battery was already blinking for a few minutes and still, Eddy was too lazy to get up and hooking the phone to the cable. He would definitely regret it.

With a zap the lights were off immediately and the TV shut down. Everything was silent and eerily calm. Eddy shot up from the couch, looking around. It was pitch black except the brightly lit screen of his phone which slowly dimmed itself.

He bit his lower lip, suddenly anxious. He didn't want it to be like that! He looked around but couldn't see anything. Eddy held up his phone and in the corner of his eyes he saw a reflection on the big tv screen. Oh no!

Cold sweat broke out as his head turned to the shimmering surface without him being able to control it. His face stared back at him, subtly lighted by the phone. Eddy wanted to turn away, he really wanted to, but his head and eyes were fixated on the screen. It didn't take long and the worst happened: His expression shifted and the shown image, his mirror image, began to smile.

'Hello Eddy'

"No, go away!"

'Oh no, not today, not ever. Come closer.'

His body felt as is it was moved by invisible strings as he got up and took his phone with him to get closer to the tv. He hated that. That was why he didn't want to see his own reflection!

It was smiling grossly, too big, the teeth too sharp and the eyes not like his own.

His cheeks hurt as he softly touched the surface with his hardened fingertips.

He didn't want to see it. But he was forced to. His own eyes were wide and filled with fear, his reflection's eyes were small and cold.

'I am you and you are me. Why am I trapped'

"No, stop it," Eddy whispered.

'"Why am I trapped and you are free?'

"No!"

'I want to be free!'

"Please I beg you, no! Please just go away!" Tears were streaming down Eddys face. He didn't want that! Why was it repeating itself?! He wanted to run, he wanted to be away from the cold surface but he still couldn't. He knew it was over as soon as his sweaty forehead touched the screen.

He heard the cruel laugh as his world began to shift and change. Helplessly he looked to his mirror image with the cold eyes as it got up from his position, smiling cruelly. Eddy banged his fists against the screen, screaming to be let out, but his voice was silenced. His cold image left the room, flipping on the lights and Eddy's own world went dark. He was now all alone, trapped behind the cold surface. He didn't want that! Tears were running down his face as his mirror image lifted one by one the curtains and blankets off the screens. Eddy knew it wouldn't be as dumb as him and came close ever again. But now he could and would be tortured with seeing his life played out by his mirror image in front of his eyes.

And he couldn't do anything, just watching helplessly.

And what else did he have to do, other than watch in this dreary world? So he watched. Watched as Brett was lured into the bedroom, as his mirror image did unspeakable things to him. Watched as blood dripped down from the bed. Watched as 'Eddy' went to his mother, to his sister, and all their friends. Every time he was met with an even more horrible sight.

More blood, more death and more taboo's breaking. The fate of his gentle little sister was the worst.

And all that Eddy, the scared boy, could do, was watch as his life began to crumble away, drowned in blood.

Words: 804