Prompt 4 - Shaky

Shaky

Fear rushed through him as he looked into the unnatural red eyes of the monster. Blood was dripping from its fangs, red was smeared over his lips and cheeks. It looked horrifying.

Black soulless eyes stared into his brown ones, waiting for the slightest move. The beast sniffed the air, then it let out a blood curdling scream. Eddy flinched but didn't move, didn't run. He had seen with Zachary what the thing would do if you ran. Because the red was the remnants of Zachary. Eddy's eyes cautiously moved to the side, seeing his best friend and love shivering right beside him.

His shaky hand inched slower and slower until he grasped the clammy, sweaty hand. He didn't want to be here. He didn't want to see a friend die in front of him.

But here he was. And here it would probably end. For them, for humanity. And Eddy couldn't fault them. The beasts emerged from the depths. From god's will to protect the earth from humans. And here they would all die.

Brett gripped Eddy's hand tighter, his eyes fixated on the beast itself.

Their eyes were too big, their arms and legs too long to be considered human. Their greyish long hair couldn't hide the fact that they were only skeletts. Not even one pound of muscle but they were so damn agile and so damn fast. First Jordan bit the dust. He swung his sword at the monsters but it broke against their skin. No gun would be hard enough to penetrate the skin. Their bones were too hard to break and their all black eyes, no sclera, no pupils, just black, could see as well in the dark as in bright sunlight. They killed everything that moved and resemble humans. Not animals of course since they lived within the structure nature gave them. But humans were eradicated.

They fought and hid away for the last six weeks but now it seemed their time had come. One hunched down in front of them, sniffing the air again with it's long slitted nose. They knew it knew they were there. But it wouldn't attack until they moved. It was a deadly, absurd game. Brett slowly turned his head, very very slowly. The monster didn't attack. He mouthed something to Eddy, and the taller man blinked to signal he understood. They wouldn't be ripped apart, even in death. One didn't have to see the other die, they promised the other!

And so, in perfect unison, they both moved.

Words: 421