Prompt 6 - Resilient

Resilient

The small, resilient mountain cabin was high, high enough to be an escape from everything.

Eddy and Brett came here when they needed an 'out' from everything. Simply reconnecting with the earth and wilderness. After the fall-out with the world they absolutely needed that.

Now it became their not so secret hideout anymore, it was more like their permanent residence.

The cabin was fortified and secured with everything they could get their hands on. And while it lasted them for three years now, it wouldn't last forever and they knew it.

They repaired the fence today but it was holding up well. They shared a look when they stopped working on it. Maybe they should simply stop? Stop trying to fight and resist?

Wordlessly, they came to an agreement. Three years just by themselves was hard and it was a fight they couldn't do anymore. They were so fucking tired.

The hammer and the nails fell to the floor. The pair didn't even bother picking it up. They made the rest of the day a rest day. Something they also didn't have in a long, long time.

They cuddled on the couch, they took a warm bath together. They kissed, made love to each other, bathed again and kissed some more. When the sun was slowly starting to set they took their weapons and went outside. Behind the cabin, a small trekk away from it, was a stone plateau. One could see the whole world from there. Well, their world. Brett spread out a blanket and they settled down, weapons at the ready. Eddy snuggled into the embrace of his lover.

When the sun touched the horizon the world around them began to wake up.

Howly, cries and screams were echoing around them.

They didn't care and didn't mind tonight. It was their night.

A crash was heard. The broken fence was trampled down. It was now only a matter of time until the creatures would reach them. They smelled fresh, alive.

Brett turned to Eddy, tears were running down his face. This beautiful man, his beautiful lover, Eddy, was also crying. They hugged each other tightly.

"I love you."

"I love you too."

Whispered promises were exchanged.

More tears were shed.

Brett buried his face into the warm neck, feeling the pulse underneath his lips. Eddy did the same.

"Until the next life."

"Yes, until the next life. I will find you."

Eddy laughed softly and nodded.

They both lifted their guns at the back of the other's skull.

The creatures were coming closer.

The first shot rang loudly in the air. Eddy's form slumped.

The creatures were going wild now. Screaming, whining, jowling upon the scent of fresh blood.

Brett opened his eyes and looked at the sun while he placed his gun at the temple.

"Until our next life."

He pulled the trigger.

Words: 476