Prompt 11 - Rain

Rain

The first time it happened, it was scary and hilarious at the same time. A cute woman winked at Eddy and his nice, ice-cold bubble tea was warm, all the ice gone. That was not a worrisome thing. The next time a boy smiled at Eddy, looked him up and down and licked over his lips, the napkin he held caught fire. It was easy enough to put out, so Eddy and Brett didn't mind much, but it was embarrassing for Eddy. His friend didn't have the same problem with his flower-power. Brett could grow flowers of any kind and shape at will. Sometimes he wore a flower crown; sometimes he decorated their videos with it by letting it rain cherry blossoms. It was like a real life snapchat filter. When it was Valentine's Day, he gave each and every person he came across a flower, regardless of gender, ethnicity, age or the relationship-status.

His friend was rarely this happy, but the flower-magic really got to Brett apparently. He loved gifting people flowers. He loved to see the happy faces, the cute little blushes and the thankfulness of the people. When he sat down on the grass – which he preferred since his magic awoke and let him grow flowers wherever he wanted – he was surrounded by colorful flowers instantly, making him happy which resulted in him growing more and more flowers. It was a circle of happiness that bred happiness. Nowadays Brett always had a smile on his face. Walking with him in a park was something else. One could totally see where Brett walked since he left a trail of flowers; when he practiced it was worse. He brought his violin to sprout as well! One would think that the sound was getting worse, but no, it didn't. It amplified it. So it was a common occurrence to see his best friend covered from head to toe in petals and where Brett moved while playing, flowers sprouted on their real hardwood floor. It was amazing.

Meanwhile with him, it was a different story altogether. His magic was fire. Destructive fire. Wherever he was, he had to be careful or be close to a fire extinguisher. It was not even a joke; that was a legit problem. Since the magic-breakout was caused by the corona vaccine (suck that anti-vaxxers; they didn't get any magical powers) a lot of people got into their magical inheritance. It was only one company that sold those doses and not a lot got it. Brett and Eddy got 'lucky' though. Since they were both fans of Harry Potter they couldn't wait to see what they got. At first, Eddy thought his powers were super rad, while Brett's were lame. Not that he told his friend about that, oh no. But now, three years later, he definitely saw the benefits of a non-destructive magical power. Brett was welcomed wherever he went, even eagerly invited, Eddy was just tolerated. All the people who suddenly got magic still worked and trained to control it. And while having a rain of falling flowers was messy and annoying, nothing compared to a firestorm inside the house. He could burn everything to the ground and didn't mean it and that was horrible.

On more than one occasion Brett had to burst out the fire extinguisher to put out flames that got a bit out of control. Eddy swept up the petals falling off Brett in return. One thing was definitely easier to clean.

But now Brett loved to cuddle with Eddy since his friend was always warm. Warm and comfy was heaven in Brett's eyes so he didn't mind that much. Yes, a couple of times Eddy lost control but no big damage happened so far.

They were currently sitting on the couch while Brett scrolled through Instagram and Eddy watched some K-Drama. Brett had his head on Eddy's lap and Eddy petted his friend occasionally on the head. Every now and then a plum or a cherry blossom fell from the ceiling where the big branches were, hitting one of the boys. The tea also had petals and whole flowers in them since why not. They put the flowers to good use. Eddy was very good at brewing tea at the perfect temperature now. Both took a sip while Brett giggled and Eddy looked up to see another cherry blossom fall down.

He really had to do more training. His warm hand stroked through the soft strands as he watched TV.

"Hmmm," Brett hummed and he looked up at his friend, "Hmm, you know I love you right?"

For a second Eddy's heart stopped and his eyes focused on Brett's, "That is why my flowers always bloom when we are together."

Eddy shook his head and bent down to kiss Brett's forehead, "And I love you too."

Brett chuckled, "That's why you are so hot all the time?"

Not only the cheeks of Eddy were set aflame, but also their wooden coffee table was lit on fire. Brett screamed and jumped up, hastening to get to the fire extinguisher to put the flame out while Eddy hid his face in his hands, "You can't say that without warning!"

Brett just laughed and then coughed but laughed again.

The table couldn't be rescued but both men were lying on the couch half an hour later (after they got rid of the table outside), kissing each other gently.

Oh yes, they were together of course. For five years already. Even having magical powers did not change that.

Words: 927