Prompt 26 - Ripple

Ripple

It was a long day and an even longer night. Eddy was exhausted and sat in his favorite bar. The clock showed 9pm sharp. He looked down at his rippling beer, took a long gulp then and scrolled on his phone. Nothing. No new messages, no calls, no notifications. He hated that. And his 'friend', Brett, still didn't show up. Brett was always punctual, Eddy ... well, not so much. He was the tardy one between them.

The beer was empty and Eddy started his fifth one. It would be a long, long, looooong night until Brett showed up. He looked at the clock. 9pm 02 seconds. Only two seconds passed when he finished the next beer.

Man, that wish sometimes really sucked.

The doorbell rang and Eddy swirled around, smiling at his 'best friend', "Heyooo! Long time no see, my dear grim!"

The person that stepped in wore an all-black attire, suit, pants, shoes, shirt, simply everything. In his right hand was a big scythe and in the other a brightly lit lamp. The man sighed and shook his head.

"Why are you here, Edward? It's not your time yet. A human has no business here."

Eddy pouted. He waited for his Grim and now he was reprimanded? That was not fair.

"I found the djinn you told me about," Brett, the Grim Reaper, groaned at that, knowing that whatever Eddy told him now was not good, "I made a wish."

Brett came to the bar and put his scythe and lamp next to him before hiding his face in his hands, "No, don't tell me, please."

Unperturbed Eddy continued, "And I wished for a special thing. You know Grim, I really like you. So I asked that my time will be slowed down!"

The grim reaper exclaimed, "That is against nature! You shouldn't do that!"

Eddy just laughed, "Well, time will pass, just incredibly slow. So yeah, I will die so slowly it will take up to ten thousand years until I die. And yes, I asked to only die of that, nothing else. So nothing else will kill me. Not even not-drinking and not-eating. So you are stuck with me."

The Grim looked at Eddy fairly... grim. This was not how it was supposed to be! He was here to collect Eddy's soul for the man should have died a couple of months ago, but the bastard beat him again and again to it. The bringer of death reached over and took a shot glass to drown the contents in one go.

"You are a pesky little human."

Eddy smiled brighter at that, "I know!"

When Brett left later that night, the clock showed 9pm and 15 seconds. Indeed, the time tickled by agonizingly slow for Edward but that was what he wanted. Now he had almost all the time in the world for his Grim. He looked forward to the next few hundred years. And maybe, just maybe, they would be real friends by the time they would need to part forever.

Words: 498