Prompt 15 - Letters

A/N:

Who is is the mood of fluff?
After yesterday's prompt probably y'all :D

Have fun with it then.

Letters

When it started - and most importantly worked – people worldwide rushed to do it. Everyone who wanted, gave a sample of their blood and their contact info – it had to be their phone number – to a facility called 'Soulmate Inc.'. After submitting, a few days later a new contact was added to the phone. It was in bright letters the word 'Soulmate'.

When Brett did that, it was a spur of a moment thing. He didn't believe in soulmates in the first place but a drunken bet – and everyone knew gambling debts were debts of honor – later he was in front of the facility, gave his blood and phone number and went home to sleep the alcohol off.

The next morning he was woken up by a soft 'ping' of his phone. Tired and bleary eyed, he looked at the blinking, noisy thing and couldn't believe his eyes. A new contact was on his phone – as stated with the name 'Soulmate' – and they already wrote to him!

It was a simple message, just a tiny

'Hi, nice to 'meet' you.'

But it was enough for Brett. He bolted up and held his phone in his trembling hands. What?! It really worked?! He knew from the ads that you only got the number and contact if your soulmate was also registered. Seeing that over 70% of the population did so, it was not really a surprise that he had a match already but still.

Slowly he typed back

'Hi to you too. Nice to meet you as well.'

and waited. He couldn't do more. He looked at the phone like a hawk but nothing happened. It seemed like his soulmate was still asleep. So Brett got up and showered. He stank of smoke and alcohol. The shower couldn't take longer than twenty minutes but when he came back his phone blinked. Brett almost threw himself over the bed to grab the thing to look if his soulmate wrote back. Sadly, it was not the case. Instead it was his friend, Jordan, who wrote to him that he found his soulmate. Deflated, since it was great news but not for him, he wished his friend best of luck.

This sucked. Why was he so anxious to get a simple message back? It was stupid. So Brett got up and rubbed himself dry before slipping on some actual clothes and not just a towel.

His flatmate, Eddy, was probably still asleep, knowing his best friends schedule, so he stayed quietly in his room until probably 1pm. Eddy was out with him and a bunch of friends and the younger was always sleeping in like crazy.

He opened and closed the 'soulmate' contact like over fifty times probably. Should he write something more? Should he not? How were they? Was it a boy or a girl? Well, it didn't really matter since Brett was bisexual after all. Was it maybe an Asian girl with long flowy black hair or a beefy boy like Frank? Brett wouldn't mind either. He just hoped he wouldn't get a minor in a different country. Not only would he need to wait for them to turn legal but only, where would they live?! Too many problems! Not that he had a problem waiting for them, but he was over thirty dammit! He didn't want to feel like a cradle robber or pedophile!

But to have the actual proof that he indeed had a soulmate was comforting. Someone who will understand him, stay with him and cherish him for who he was and not what he portrayed on the outside. Someone who wasn't in for his fame but really wanted to be with him. That made him smile. What a nice idea.

Maybe he should send them another message? Maybe a picture? Or maybe nothing at all? He wrestled with himself about that and had no actual idea what to do. Maybe wait?

Brett groaned. His mind was wheeling and turning and doing flips. Nothing made sense and at the same time he wanted to do everything.

His brain short circuited as he opened up the contact one again and re-read the message.

With his brain afk he selected a picture, a nice one to boot, and typed a message to that.

'Hi, it's me again. I'm Brett Yang. I'm living in Australia, Brisbane right now. I'm a full-time YouTuber. I love playing the violin and I hope you live in the same country as I am. Not if it were a problem if not of course. If you feel comfortable, send me a pic of you as well?'

Without asking his brain for permission he sent it. Instantly he regretted it. What if he expected too much of his soulmate? Maybe the other person wanted to start slow? Was being a YouTuber a no-go?

He hastily typed another message,

'Sorry to be so upfront. My brain was like... dead. Sorry!'

Well, nothing could be taken back, that was not how it worked with the app and the contact. But why was he scared anyway? It was not somebody from the streets he had been contacted, but his soulmate. Of course they would be supportive, right?

Brett turned around and squished his face in the pillow, silently screaming at himself. Why did his brain take a mini-vacation five minutes ago?! While Brett was busy berating himself he didn't see the three dots moving, stopping and then moving again.

But another 'ping' made him raise his head off the pillow of shame and he looked at the message.

'I see.'

Nothing more. Just 'I see'.

Well, that was crushing.

Brett flipped his phone around to not see the crushing message anymore and hid his face in the pillow of shame again. The 'clack' of his door signaled the door was being opened and he knew Eddy was up now.

Heavy footsteps came closer until he felt a heavy weight on top of his back. He grunted. They were too old for that!

A wet kiss on his neck surprised him though. They never kissed, that was too homo! Before he could turn around to ask what Eddy had planned with that, Eddy whispered in his ear,

"I am your soulmate."

Oh. My. God.

EDDY WAS HIS SOULMATE?!

Words: 1050