𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐞.

⋆° დ ༄ RISKY BUSINESS
chapter nine. a material witness.

Maxine sits at the counter at the diner near her apartment, taking a sip of her coffee when the waitress sets her plate down in front of her

"Pauline, can I ask you something?"

"Sure. What's up, sugar?"

"How long have I been coming here?"

"Mmm. I'd say probably ten years. Why?"

"So, it's safe to say you know me pretty well, right?"

"Yeah, that's safe to say"

"So, you know I'm a pretty smart person"

"Where is this going, Max?"

"So when a guy—" Maxine was cut off by her phone ringing, "hold on" then she checks the caller ID, "it's Dawson . . . go for Bishop . . . okay, I'll be right there" then she hangs up her phone, "I gotta head in early." Then she takes a bite of her toast, "put this on my tab, I'll pay for it tomorrow, promise" then she rushes out of the diner.

Pauline shakes her head, chuckling, "that girl"

🪩🪩🪩

"Calaca. Means 'skeleton' in spanish. My money's on the Latin priests. That's the kind of name they give their boys" Antonio tells the team, who are gathered in some sort of huddle.

"Neighbors don't claim to have seen anything" Mickey states, crossing his arms over each other. 

"And there's no security cameras either" Adam says. Sumner walks onto the unit and Antonio says, "Shift's already started. Where you been?"

Sumner sighs, handing Hank a file and says, "The report you requested, Sergeant. A breakdown of all drug related busts in the Pilsen area in the last 12 months"

"How many files did you have to go through?" Erin asks and Mia gives her a tight lip smile.

"Alright, now get me a list of all gang affiliated males in the neighborhood that were arrested with a weapon who are between 5'2 and 6'3" Hank says.

"Our gunman's 5'9" Jay states.

"You can never be too careful"