𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐨𝐧𝐞.

⋆° დ ༄ RISKY BUSINESS
chapter thirty one. say her real name.

Maverick walks out onto his balcony, where he sees his girlfriend standing by the railing

Maverick walks out onto his balcony, where he sees his girlfriend standing by the railing. Maxine stared out into the city, her mind wandering like it always was. She didn't know what was going on anymore. Maybe she was slowly losing her mind.

"Maxine....baby" Maverick said, putting his hand on the detective's back.

"Yeah?"

"Are you okay?"

Maxine nods her head, "sure"

"What's going on inside that pretty head of yours?"

Maxine looks over at her boyfriend, tears staining her cheeks, "I don't know what's going on anymore. Is this really my life?"

"Other than the fact that your mom showed up out of nowhere after 32 years, I'd say it's been pretty great right? You had a great family growing up" Maverick says, placing his hand on the back of her neck, rubbing his thumb on the side of it.

"Yeah, I guess you're right" she sniffles. Maverick cups her cheeks, "baby, listen to me. you're perfect and you have such an amazing heart. Okay? Don't let anyone take that away from you, no matter what"

Maxine sighs, "I'm just gonna go to bed" then she walks away. Maverick watches his girlfriend walk away to their bedroom and his heart breaks for her. He hated seeing her like this.

She was the most energetic, most outgoing person he knew. And to see her so sad and hurt makes him angry.

~~~

"Where is she?" The voice said, as soon as Maverick opened the door.

"Still in bed. She hasn't moved in two days" Maverick said, guiding Adam to his bedroom, "Sorry, we had to meet like this"

"Yeah" Adam walks into the dark room to see his best friend covered in blankets and his heart breaks. "Oh Maxie" then he sits on the edge of the bed, resting his hand on her bare leg that was sticking out from under the blanket, "have you been taking your medicine?"

"What medicine?" Maverick asks, his arms crossed over each other. Adam sighs and looks at the taller man, "she has bipolar disorder"

Mavericks heart sank, "what? She never told me"

"Only a handful of people know. She's embarrassed of it. But she's been doing good, she hasn't been like this since we were teenagers. I wonder what caused it"