𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐢𝐟𝐭𝐲 𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭.

⋆° დ ༄ RISKY BUSINESS
chapter fifty eight. if we were normal.

"Hey" Maxine says, sitting down across from Kim at a coffee shop, and shrugging her coat off

"Hey. Got you a coffee"

"Oh, thank you"

"And I don't know if you take it black or with milk or soy or..anyway, Uh, yeah, I brought everything"

"Look at that, thanks. So, what's up?"

"So, I wanted to get your advice on something, but I...look, I probably know what you're going to say, which is what I need to hear about something that..." Burgess sighs, "Sorry. I need to hear you say, 'don't do it'.

"Okay, I'm with you"

"Okay. Last night, I went out with Roman, just as friends. But by the end, it kind of felt like more than that."

"Hmm" Maxine hums.

"You don't seem surprised."

"Oh, I'm sorry. You...you wanted me to...sure. Uh, oh, my god" Maxine jokes sarcastically.

"I mean, nothing has happened at all. At all. But, last night there was this moment. Do you know what I'm talking about?"

"Yeah, I do."

"But having been engaged to Ruzek, your brother, what you are saying is that I should not be opening the door, right?"

"You want me to be the one to tell you that you should not date your partner?" Max questions and Burgess nods her head, "Love is love, do what your heart says"

"Yeah, no. With the way you and Jay are with each other... you guys make it look so easy"

"What? Jay and I aren't dating. I'm engaged" Maxine says, holding out her left hand.

"Really?" Kim asks, and Max nods her head, "I—I'm so sorry. Congratulations Maxine"

Maxine gives the officer a tight lip smile, "it's okay to call me, Max, Kim. All my friends do"

Kim smiles, "Cool"

"Units in 21 and units on the citywide, battery in process involving a male and a female reported at Kinzie and Dearborn. First responding officers, please advise"