Chapter Two - Kinsley

Kinsley ~

A few hours later I found myself in one of Adriana's tight fitting dresses that was clearly tailored to her body and not mine, but I could get away with it for a couple of hours. It was tight and restricting, but thin straps kept sliding off of my shoulders every few minutes as if it were reminding me that I wasn't meant to be in it.

I nervously fidgeted with the ends of my hair that Adriana had fixed for me. The split ends of my light brown hair twirled beneath my fingers as the town car passed by mansion after mansion, each one bigger than the last.

Good lord when was the last time I had a hair cut?

The excitement I had felt was starting to dwindle into downright anxiety as the car pulled up to a large house that looked more like a palace and somewhere that I definitely didn't belong.

"Ready?" Adriana said,

No.

"Yep." I answered, forcing a smile as I awkwardly scooted myself out of the car in Adriana's form fitting dress.

There were multiple attendants waiting outside. Some were there to park cars, others were there to take coats and purses, and the rest were standing around as if waiting to be given a request. I'd never seen anything like it other than in the movies.

"Whose house is this again?" I asked in a hushed tone as I leaned toward Adriana.

"This is one of the Moretti family homes." Adriana replied over her shoulder as she handed her bag to one of the attendants.

One of? Cheese and rice I forgot how rich these people were. This is just one of their homes?

"And you're sure they won't mind that I'm here?" I asked in a shaky voice, reminding myself of why they were so wealthy.

Adriana was clearly fed up with my nervous antics and spun around to face me as we entered the massive estate.

"Kins, You look amazing and you're welcome here because you are my personal guest. If anyone doesn't want you here then they can take it up with me." Adriana's words were sharp, but her facial expression was soft and comforting.

Taking in a deep breath I let Adriana's words soak in and felt a wave of confidence wash over me.

"Got it." I said, nodding my head, signaling that I was done acting like a scared child. I was 24 years old, a grown ass woman and this was just a party.

"Good."

Adriana walked through the house like she owned the place, introducing me to people as she greeted everyone with kisses on the cheek. She walked with poise and confidence that I tried to emulate, but couldn't quite master.

Can everyone see that I don't belong here or is it all in my head?

The feeling of eyes on me hovered in the air around me, making my skin hot and my palms sweat as we made our way further into the mansion. Everything was intricate and embellished with refined fixtures and finishings that made me feel dull and out of place.

As Adriana carried on a conversation, my eyes wandered over the massive floral centerpieces and I couldn't help but notice how beautiful the color combination was.

I love that, if only there was better lighting to highlight those textures.

I took a step back with my head tilted to the side to see if I could picture what those flowers would look like with more purple hues and some better lighting. Feeling inspired and wanting to take a mental snap shot so I could paint it later, I took a second step backwards, but bumped into something hard.