Chapter Ten - Tyson

Tyson ~

I slammed the door so hard I thought it might break off its hinges as I stormed into the house, brushing past Dane, but too furious to acknowledge him.

"I've been calling you for hours, what the fuck happened?" Dane asked, eyeing me up and down.

"Angelo's men made a second attempt on Lorenzo. A drive by as they were coming out of a restaurant." I managed to bite out.

"Oh shit. Everyone okay?" Dane asked, knowing full well that if the attempt had been successful he would have gotten a call and the families would have met.

"Lorenzo and Gia are okay, but one of my guys took a few rounds to the chest." I added as I aggressively loosened my tie and removed it followed by my blood soaked shirt.

"I'm assuming you caught up with the asshole who took the shots." Dane eyed my blood soaked clothing as I removed it and threw it in the trash.

"That's why I had to leave Onyx in such a rush. And I wasn't nearly as forgiving as I was last night." I growled.

I had no remorse for killing those who tried to take the lives of innocents. Gia would never hurt a fly and her children adore her, yet she's being hunted like an animal due to the sins of her husband. It just hit too close to home and my thoughts took me to the darkest place of my mind, the place that housed the memories of my own parents brutal murder that happened right in front of me. I watched my mother beg for her life and heard her panicked, desperate screams every time I closed my eyes and drifted to sleep.

Cracking my neck from side to side, I tried to rid myself of thoughts of my mother, knowing if my mind stayed there too long it would consume me.

Dane followed me into my bedroom as I stripped down to my boxers and harshly scrubbed at my face in the sink.

"I'm fuckng beat. I need to sleep for a few hours." I grumbled as I dried my face and ran my hand through my hair a couple of times.

"Want me to order you some food?" Dane offered, watching me as I sunk myself down onto my king sized bed.

"Too tired to eat." I mumbled into my pillow.

"Alright, man. Rest up." Dane said, tapping the door frame.

"How's our girl?" I asked against the fabric of my pillow case, too tired to lift my head.

Dane's mouth curled into a smile before he answered.

"Fucking perfect. I took her out to lunch then sent her shopping with my card to pick something out for Thursday."

The joy in Dane's voice had me downright jealous, but I knew I'd get my time on Thursday.

"Good." I muttered.

"And listen I've got something I want to discuss with you later." Dane added.

"About Kinsley?"

"Yeah."

"Alright, let me catch a few hours and then we can talk about whatever you want. I can't fucking think straight right now."

Without another word, Dane flicked the light off and shut the door, leaving me to battle myself for sleep the way I often did. It seemed to matter how exhausted I was, my inner demons always felt the need to protest sleep, but I doubted my body's resistance would last long. I was physically spent and couldn't barely hold my eyes open, so I didn't try.

Laying on my stomach, I tried to relax all of my muscles, but my mind still raced, showing me nothing but images of the blood covered bodies of my parents once my eyelids finally closed. I jerked my head in response, trying to rid myself of the scene and decided to focus on something much more pleasant instead, something beautiful and delicate. I focused on Kinsley - the taste of her skin and the feel of her body pressed against mine. I pictured those big bright eyes and felt some of the hatred I was harboring melt away just enough to let sleep take hold of me.