Chapter Forty Nine - Dane

Dane ~

I sat there for hours wishing I was on the other side of that wall, wishing I was in bed wrapped around Kinsley.

Tyson had been texting me, wondering if I had spoken to Kinsley and how she was responding to me.

Dane: I'm sleeping outside her apartment in the hallway. She won't let me in. Hasn't let me touch her yet.

Dane: But she told me she still loved me so I'm just holding on to that for now.

Dane: What are you doing?

Tyson: I'm busy.

Dane: Busy with what?

What the hell could be more important than bringing our girl home and earning her forgiveness? Why is Tyson being so distant and ridiculous. I know he loves her.

Dane: Fine whatever. Don't tell me then. But you should be here. That's all I'm saying.

Tyson: I'm right where I need to be.

I scoffed at Tyson's arrogance. He never admits he's wrong - never admits fault to matter what the situation.

Stubborn ass.

Leaning my head back against the wall, I closed my eyes, but felt my phone buzz in my hand again.

I almost came out of my own skin when I saw Kinsley's name across the top of my phone and couldn't open the message fast enough.

Kinsley: Are you awake?

My heart started pounding beneath my ribs as I typed out the fastest response I'd ever produced.

Dane: I'm awake. It's late gorgeous, what are you doing up?

Kinsley: I can't sleep.

I know baby, I know you go days without sleeping and I hate myself for that. 

Kinsley: I'm still so angry with you, but I wanted to know if you'd come back. I need you.

My body instantly moved and I stood with a sudden surge of energy running through me, pumping me full of life as if I had reason to live again.

Dane: I never left sweetheart, I've been out in the hallway since you closed the door.

Seconds later the door slowly opened and Kinsley stood there with her eyes brimming with tears.

"You didn't leave?" She asked softly.

"I'm done leaving you. Never again." I said, hoping like hell she'd believe me.

She closed her eyes, letting my words wrap around her as tears dropped down her cheeks. Taking a step back she extended the door open for me, allowing me to enter and as much as I wanted to rush to her and hold her, I knew I needed to take things slow and follow her lead. I had just made some serious progress and I wasn't about to fuck it all up by being to eager and forward.

"Talk to me, Kins. What's wrong? Why can't you sleep?" I asked softly, maintaining the distance she put between us.

"I never sleep." She whimpered.

"And after you left, I just felt torn because I'm so mad at you...I'm mad at you Dane...but, I'm so lonely and being away from you makes me hurt."

Her voice cracked as tears started to roll down her face.

"You have every right to be mad at me. I deserve that. But I don't want you to hurt."

I took one slow step forward and was thrilled when she didn't back away.

"I forgot what you smelled like...I used to snuggle up to your pillow when you were gone for the night at home, but all these pillows are new...they don't smell like you."

My heart shattered as she spoke and I took another slow calculated step forward.

"I'm sorry Kins. I'm so damn sorry."

"I don't know how to forgive you." She admitted quietly.

"That's okay baby."

"But...for now...I just need you to hold me." She sobbed.

Those small words opened the flood gates, allowing me to let go of my self control as I rushed toward her and wrapped my arms around her. I couldn't get close enough to her and picked her up, letting her wrap her small legs around my torso as I squeezed her tightly, feeling her bury her face in my neck as she sobbed and clung to me.

"I'm so mad at you." she sobbed, taking in fistfuls of the back of my shirt, clinging and clawing at me as if I was going to disappear beneath her if she didn't hold on to me.

"You can be bad at me baby, I can take it. Just let me hold you." I said against her hair, rocking slowly back and forth as I soaked her in, letting her scent wrap around me.

It was heaven and a feeling I thought I'd never get to experience again. My entire body responded to her and I felt instant relief as soon as her body pressed against mine.

"Stay with me." She pleaded against my neck.

I had been desperate for those words and closed my eyes as soon as I heard them, unsure what I had done to deserve such mercy.

Holding her in my arms, I instantly moved toward her bedroom, carrying her effortlessly until we reached her large king sized bed. I peeled the plush comforter back and settled her in the bed, toeing my shoes off before I joined her.

She rolled to face me and clung to my chest, letting her face rest against my neck and her arms tucked in front of her as I held her against me.

"I'm not going anywhere gorgeous and you can still be mad at me in the morning, but for now just rest those eyes for me and sleep." I whispered.

Kinsley nestled her head back and forth against the skin of my neck as if she couldn't get close enough until her tired body finally started to slow itself down and give in to sleep.

I felt her start to go lax almost instantly as if her body had been waiting for me to finally rest.

That's it baby, get the sleep you need.

She didn't move the entire night, sleeping deep and steady in my arms. I held and kissed her all night, memorizing the feel of her skin against my skin and the rhythm of her slow even breathing. Once the morning came, I knew she'd be distant and unsure of how to proceed, but for now things were simple, for now things were peaceful and perfect.

I'm going to make this right Kinsley, I swear. 

********

Opinions on Tyson and his absence? What are your thoughts/theories?