Chapter 7 Decisions to be Made

Severus was brewing hyperthermia solutions for Madam Pomfrey because when the matron couldn't get the Headmaster to change his mind about the second task she had decided to prepare for the worst. Or in other words make Severus prepare for the worst.

That was when Lucius fire called him telling him that something urgent had occurred. Severus sighed he knew he would have to answer the Malfoy Lord's call. Severus put his cauldrons in stasis and left for Malfoy Manor through the Floo network.

Severus knew he would have to answer the Headmaster's questions about what Lucius wanted at a later date. At this point Severus didn't know if he would tell the Headmaster about what Lucius wanted. He would have to decide whether or not it was about the brat.

Severus although the Headmaster's spy still believed in the Dark ideals so he didn't tell the headmaster most things. However, he wanted Lily's son to survive even if he was the traitor's whelp so he informed the headmaster when events would affect the boy.

Severus and James had actually made up in their few years in service to the Dark Lord. James had been higher up than Severus but that didn't surprise Severus considering James was a Pure-Blood and a high ranking member of the Auror Corps.

Things were going well on the Dark side. There were battles and skirmishes and murders but all in all it was mainly political manoeuvring especially by people like him who were titled. But then James Potter betrayed them to the Light and all hell broke loose.

The Dark Lord wanted revenge. He assassinated whole families of those who were loyal to the Light. He began torturing those who had once been his closest friends and allies. This was the year that most of the Order died in cold blood.

There had been Order and Ministry deaths before but only in battle situations. Severus still didn't know what had changed about one traitor. Then the Dark Lord went to kill Harry Potter and Lily Evans and drag the traitor back to explain why exactly he betrayed them once and for all.

Severus couldn't allow Lily to die despite the fact that she had joined Dumbledore. Severus wasn't surprised considering that she had been indoctrinated by Dumbledore from stepping foot into Hogwarts. And unlike the Slytherins she never saw how biased Dumbledore was. Nor how stuck in the past and unwilling to embrace change he was but he didn't want her die so he signed himself over to Dumbledore.

Severus didn't know what had happened. All he knew that both Lily and Potter were dead and Voldemort had fallen leaving Harry Potter orphaned. Severus was forced to swear to protect the traitor's whelp and he wanted to for his dead best friend.

He never blamed the Dark Lord. Not really; she had married a traitor and had been fighting with the Light and caused a lot of damage to their side. He blamed Potter for dragging her down with him and Dumbledore for coercing her to the Light.

'Lucius,' Severus greeted coolly.