Chapter 71 Aliases

Filius was unsurprised when two Aurors came into his new office that he was in the process of updating so it was more to his liking. Instead of cabinets of strange objects designed to impress, wow (and if he was not wrong to spy) those who came into Dumbledore’s office, he now had his favourite books ordered alphabetically. He had changed the wards of the office so if he was in here alone before curfew, anyone could walk in (with or without a password) as he personally felt that a Headmaster should be able to be approached by the students he served.

Filius had been unofficially headmaster for less than two months, and in that time, he had been trying to get a handle on all of the things that Albus and Minerva had done wrong. Firstly, there were the wards which were in serious need of updating as they had not been officially updated since Dippets time. Then there were the number of complaints about staff that Dumbledore had not seen fit to investigate. Then there were the missives from Madam Pomphrey and several Heads of House about concerns they had about students’ home lives which were once again not passed onto the proper authorities.

Finally, there was the finances which despite having less than half of the teachers they had during Dippets day there was still the same number of salaries being paid. Salaries to teachers that Filius knew did not exist and never had existed. Filius had requested that his father, who worked in Gringotts look into these accounts and tell him who entered the vaults. Because if he was right Dumbledore was not just embezzling from young Heir Slytherin, but Hogwarts herself.

And the fact that either Minerva had either known and done nothing or was not performing her duties at all was more than concerning. The next Board meeting was in a few days and Filius had requested to be there. He took no joy in seeing another of his colleagues investigated but after everything Albus had done … well his duty was to the children of Hogwarts and not his colleagues even if they were old friends. And if Minerva was unable to perform her duties, they needed someone who could.

So, all in all when the Aurors came to question him once more about Albus, Filius was not surprised. In fact, he was surprised that it had taken them this long to attempt to arrest the human wizard. If it had been someone of non-human heritage Filius knew that it would have been done in a few hours. That was the kind of double standard that their society was governed by.

Nor did it surprise Filius that Albus had slipped through the net – he always was too smart for anyone’s good. Filius had already been in fourth year and in Ravenclaw, by the time Albus came to school. But he saw the way that the young Dumbledore boy had managed to wrap everyone he met around his finger by the end of his first term.

Filius sighed, ‘I can, assure you Aurors that if I knew where Albus was I would tell you. You have no idea what mess he has left for me to clean up. Nor how much damage he has caused to Hogwarts.’

‘What do you mean?’ asked Shacklebolt frowning.

Filius sighed heavily, ‘well for one the wards are woefully out of date, so I am going to need a Wardmaster to come in and update them before Hogwarts starts up in four weeks’ time.’