Chapter 101 New Teacher, Old Teacher, and the Inquisitor

Draco walked into his first class of the year which was History of Magic with their new Professor Dhaval Thakur. From what his father had told him Thakur was a highly esteemed Historian with a speciality on world history. He was a good teacher and was a huge step up from Binns (not that that should be hard).

But why did it have to be with the Gryffindors?

Draco had arrived first with Vince and Greg who he had forced to grab a seat at the front. The other Slytherins (and more studious Gryffindors arrived soon after). Longbottom arrived red faced clutching his book bag to his chest with all of a minute to spare.

Dhaval Thakur stood up to begin his lesson. He was a tall silver haired man of Indian ancestry with dark intelligent eyes hidden behind square spectacles. He wore a decent set of maroon robes lined with golden stars. His face was animated and excited.

‘Good morning fifth years. I am Professor Dhaval Thakur-‘

As Thakur began introducing himself Ronald Weasley sidled in. His form was hunched, and he didn’t look up from the floor as he took a seat at the back of the classroom, alone! Weasley looked like he wanted no one to notice him. If that’s what he wanted he should have arrived first and hid at the back of the classroom.

‘As I was saying I am Professor Dhaval Thakur,’ Thakur repeated. ‘Master of World History and your new History of Magic Professor. Today will be an introductory and revision session. And on Friday we will be doing a mock OWL exam – now I am not expecting people to get full marks. It is just for me to gage where you are and what units you have covered, so I can make a lesson plan for the next year.

‘Now, first things first let’s do a little get to know your exercise as I call the register. When I call your name if you could give a fact about yourself and a history fact. Only if you want to, of course, you are under no compulsion to say anything you want to. If you only want to give a fact about yourself, or only give a history fact, or neither, that is all fine.’

‘I’ll start my name is Dhaval Thakur I attained my Masters in Shambhala School in India when I was twenty-eight. I emigrated to England in 1947 and have worked as historian for the Society of the Preservation of Magical History since then. As for an interesting historical fact. Oh, that’s a hard one – there are so many – but I’d say it would have to be the International Statute of Secrecy.’

‘But everyone knows that,’ Finnigan whispered very loudly to Thomas.

Thakur nodded, ‘indeed they do. But I don’t think you realise how extraordinary that the Statue was. Getting magical peoples from all continents in agreement no matter the creed, religion, affinity, culture, blood status, species, to find a way to solve the problems facing the Wizarding World at the time. Can you see that happening today?’