Chapter 95 Squib and Wand

‘My client is willing to provide you with the name and location of the woman involved in coordinating the attack on Malfoy Manor and the details on how the wardborer came to be present,’ Master Heap said. ‘If you were to guarantee that my client is only charged with breaking and entry on his part of this defence – I would insist that in writing, authorised by the Head of the DMLE before my client will speak.’

‘We could administer veritserum,’ Scrimgeour threatened.

‘You could,’ agreed Master Heap. ‘But to be allowed to administer veritserum on a new case would mean getting a new allowance from the Wizengamot. The next meeting is not for another three weeks and with the mastermind dead it is unlikely Fudge would agree that it was an emergency.’

Amelia knew that Heap was right.

‘We will have to speak about it,’ Amelia said.

Amelia ended the interview and gestured to Scrimgeour to leave.

‘I think we should agree,’ Scrimgeour said.

‘My biggest worry is what exactly Arthur’s involvement was,’ Amelia frowned. ‘If his lawyer is asking for a deal, it means he was involved … but he has been in a Ministry cell the whole time and aside from writing to relatives he doesn’t seem to be in contact with anyone.’

‘He might have been using coded messages,’ Scrimgeour suggested.

‘But we need to know who this witch is,’ Scrimgeour said. ‘The fact she can apparently bypass our scanners makes me … nervous.’

Amelia nodded, ‘me too. And quite frankly with the charge of second-degree line theft already on the books being charged with two years instead of seven isn’t going to make much of a difference to his overall stay in Azkaban.’

‘It will likely make it worse,’ Scrimgeour said. ‘As he can’t claim that second-degree line theft was his only crime so he might be given a longer sentence.’

Amelia nodded and signed off on the deal.