Chapter 26 The Dark Lord Returns

Severus strode down the corridor having split up with Barty at some point previously. Barty had retired to his chambers knowing that Dumbledore would call him soon enough when he found out from Severus about the Dark Lord’s supposed return. Dumbledore would want to gather his most trusted and loyal followers around him when he found out that Voldemort had returned.

Severus knew that it would have looked suspicious if he and Barty disguised as Alastor “Mad-Eye” Moody turned up together. Severus Snape was after all a known ex-Death Eater and Alastor Moody hated all Death Eaters even Severus who was cleared by Dumbledore himself. Severus meanwhile was wary of the ex-Auror who was known to be gunning for the blood of all Death Eaters who like Severus had escaped justice.

Chocoballs,’ Severus sneered.

Dumbledore constantly set sweet themed passwords that were pointless. Severus knew that the password could be guessed by any absent minded first year. Many had done so over the years. Severus wondered why Albus even bothered to have a password that anyone could guess.

He may as well just have an open office like Severus so that his Slytherins could come to him any time of the day. The only time Severus’ office was locked was when Severus was not present due to classes, sleep, patrolling or meals.

‘Severus,’ Dumbledore greeted.

Severus didn’t say anything just struck out his arm and pulled up his robe. Displayed clearly was the Dark Mark clear as the day it was made although not burning black as it would when the Dark Lord called them. Dumbledore’s face grew very grim as he surveyed the Dark Mark as he realised what it meant.

‘It would appear that the Dark Lord has returned,’ Dumbledore said grimly.

Severus didn’t say anything knowing that Dumbledore wouldn’t expect him to. Severus Snape had never believed in idle chit chat. Severus watched as the old man’s bright blue eyes flicked. Dumbledore was clearly thinking quickly about what to do next.

‘Have you been called?’ Dumbledore asked sharply.

It was there that Snape saw the warrior rather than the genial grandfatherly figure that Dumbledore preferred to present to the ignorant masses. This, however, was the strategist who was happy to sacrifice his followers for the greater good. The manipulator who was not above kidnapping and murder to get his way.

‘I have not,’ Snape replied. ‘I have checked in with old acquaintances none of whom have been called.’