Chapter 86 Bonding Time

‘Can I have a word with you, Lord Slytherin, if you have time,’ Flitwick said.

It had been a long day of interviews. But finally, they were done. As was protocol for staff interviews there was one Founders Heir, the Headmaster and the Minister’s representative i.e., Umbridge. Flitwick was reasonable, fair and nonbiased although he had been watching him. Umbridge, however, spent half the time making disparaging comments to Flitwick rather than doing her job.

‘Of course, Headmaster,’ Tom said.

Tom frowned surprised at what the elderly half-goblin wanted.

‘Excuse me, Professor,’ Umbridge’s lip curled as though that was not the word she would use for the diminutive Headmaster, ‘if you have something the governors need to know I should be present to.’

Flitwick smiled, ‘no, Madam Umbridge, this is not about Hogwarts. Lord Slytherin, I would like to discuss Heir Slytherin’s schooling if that is okay with you?’

‘Yes, of course,’ Tom said.

Tom was sure that this was an excuse as Tom had officially withdrew Harry from Hogwarts a few months ago but he was willing to go along with it. They made their way up to the Headmasters office which seemed very different. None of Dumbledore’s enchanted objects, and the chair behind it was floating allowing Flitwick to easily sit behind it.

Flitwick retrieved a familiar vial of memories, ‘I thought I should return this to you and your associate.’

‘You viewed it,’ Tom said.

‘I did,’ agreed Flitwick. ‘For what it’s worth I am sorry for your husband’s death.’

Tom felt hands grasp at his heart at that but refused to show it.

‘Thank you,’ Tom replied. ‘Is that all?’

‘No,’ Flitwick said. ‘I was not lying about wanting to speak to you about your son. I am aware that you withdrew your son from school due to not wanting him around Dumbledore. But Dumbledore is gone, and I can assure you that he will be under no danger here – McGonagall saw the memories too, I believe that is the reason she resigned.’

‘There are others who may be loyal to Dumbledore – both students and staff members,’ Tom said.