Chapter 66 Awakening

Harry woke blearily at first to a very sterile looking room that reminded Harry of the Infirmary at Hogwarts. His father, Lucius and Draco were seated around his bed. Harry tried to remember what had happened to put him in the hospital. But the last thing he could remember was Sirius in Padfoot form leaping up on him.

‘Harry,’ Tom said softly.

‘Father,’ murmured Harry.

‘How are you feeling?’ Tom asked softly.

‘Exhausted,’ Harry admitted. ‘What happened?’

‘Two of Dumbledore’s men tried to kill you,’ the Dark Lord said fury coating every syllable. ‘Your godfather knocked you out of the way before the Killing Curse could hit you. I believe he and the Morant twins took them out leaving them unconscious,’ the Dark Lord’s smirk was nothing but vicious.

Harry groaned as he lay down on his pillows. His father was never going to let him out again. Not after what happened the first time he tried to go out in public. But hopefully this attack would be enough for Bones to finally arrest Dumbledore.

‘Why can’t I remember anything?’ asked Harry.

‘You fell unconscious,’ Harry’s father said darkly. ‘Probably due to the shock but possibly due to your magic trying to respond to protect you which with how energy intensive a male pregnancy is left you with magical exhaustion.’

Then Harry had a terrible idea, ‘the baby?’

‘Harry, keep calm – stress will not help you in the slightest,’ Tom said sounding worried. ‘The Healers do not believe that the baby is in any danger – the heartbeat sounds strong. But they will be giving you a scan – just as a precaution.’

Harry blinked he had to admit he had been looking forward to seeing a picture of the baby. But not like this because as much as his father was trying to comfort him the fact that he needed one was a risk. Lucius, however, seemed as worried as Harry was but was at least trying to hide his worries.

‘A precaution?’ Harry felt sick.

‘Just a precaution,’ agreed Harry’s father kindly.

Harry bit his lip, ‘and what happened to Dumbledore’s people.’