Chapter 40 Party Gossip

Harry, Lucius and his father entered the Dining Room where everyone was already seated in the positions marked out for them by magic. The three of them joined the Death Eaters at the table where they were waiting for dinner to be served. Dinner would not be served until the host himself sat down.

The Dark Lord sat at the head of the table with Harry to his right as was his right as the Heir of the host. Crouch sat to the Dark Lord’s left displaying the fact the Dark Lord valued Crouch’s contribution this his return the most after his son. Naturally as the Dark Lord had no living spouse, the other end of the table was empty.

Lucius was seated beside him much to Harry’s surprise. Harry had expected his father to keep him and Lucius as far apart as socially possible. Not have Lucius seated beside him although Narcissa was beside him and her lover was opposite her. Sirius was sitting diagonally to Harry. Opposite to Lucius, who he was openly glaring at despite Harry kicking him in the shins.

The three course meal started with chicken and mushroom soup that the House Elvles had created whilst they had been running errands at the Ministry and Gringotts. It was delicious of course as every plate of House Elf food Harry had ever tasted was. The chicken and mushrooms complemented each other perfectly.

The masks were off and Harry heard the quiet murmur of conversation going on around him although it was louder at the opposite end of the table. Harry was sure that at least some of the Death Eaters would be speaking him and his family. It appeared that only those directly beside the Dark Lord were not speaking even Narcissa and her lover were debating about the different types of magic.

‘Why weren’t they expecting a feast?’ asked Harry. ‘I thought that was normal-‘

‘Only on certain occasions,’ Lucius explained.

‘Feast days and when celebrating a great triumph over the Light,’ Harry’s father explained.

‘Like today,’ Harry understood. ‘The Dark Lord has returned once more to fix the mess the Light has made of things.’

‘Not to mention the Dark side has gained an Heir to complete the task should anything unfortunate happen to me,’ explained Tom. ‘Never mind the fact that children are a cause to be celebrated. Had things have been different there would have been a celebration to the continuation of our Lines.’

Harry couldn’t help but wonder would that happen when he and Lucius came out about their son. Would they celebrate it as his father had said was traditional? Once Dumbledore had been disposed of Harry was sure there would be little reason in continuing to hide Harry’s pregnancy from the Death Eaters.