Chapter 49 Deserters and Investigators

Molly waited anxiously at the table for her third son to get home watching the hand on the clock change from work to travelling and then finally to home. Hoping against hope that Arthur had been wrong. That Percy had no sided with the Ministry against them but she feared the worst. Percy had always had a great trust in authority figures but until now Molly had been under the impression that it was in the right ones.

‘Mum,’ Percy said looking at his parents waiting for him as he shrugged off his cloak.

‘Is it true that you have been appointed Junior Undersecretary for Fudge?’ demanded Molly.

‘Yes,’ Percy said a little warily but not able to conceal his pride and glee.

‘Oh, Percy,’ sighed Arthur. ‘Do you really think you got the position of your own merits?’ asked Arthur.

‘Yes,’ Percy said angrily.

‘He’s using you to spy on us,’ Arthur said sharply angrier than Molly had ever saw her husband when their children were not in danger.

‘Did he ask you anything about Dumbledore or the Order?’ Molly demanded.

‘No,’ Percy lied.

‘Percy Ignotous Weasley I am your mother! Do you really think I can’t tell when you are lying?’ demanded Molly. ‘Now what did you tell him?’

‘Nothing,’ denied Percy.

‘You’re lying,’ Molly said flatly. ‘What did you tell him?’

‘What was I supposed to do when you were plotting to murder Harry!?’ burst out Percy.

Molly scowled when she realised what her son's betrayal was all about. Trust Hadrian Slytherin to ruin yet another plan for the Light side it seemed that was all he was doing lately either directly or indirectly. If it wasn’t bad enough that he had killed the girl Molly hoped to one day call daughter, deny them their money, betray them to the Dark side. Now he was taking her son from him!

Arthur sighed, ‘I don’t agree with that any more than you do-‘

‘Yet you knowingly let Harry be abused because Dumbledore said it was okay?’ demanded Percy. ‘I have fought against the stigma attached to the Weasley name since I arrived at the Ministry. And now I finally make a name for myself you’re trying to ruin it for me! When you are involved with kidnapping embezzlement and plotting murder of a teenaged boy! So yes to protect us I told Fudge everything so long as my family are not harmed by what I told them.’