Chapter 45 Condemnation of a Rat

Amelia had left the Minister and his new undersecretary as soon as she could without Fudge questioning so that she could get to 87 where Pettigrew was being guarded by Mina. Amelia knew that the revelation that Peter Pettigrew was still alive would affect a lot of big names. Not only Dumbledore but Fudge and Crouch (if he ever turned up again).

‘Has Pettigrew said anything?’ asked Amelia.

Mina snorted, ‘the little rat hasn’t shut up. Kept begging me to understand that he only acted out of fear. That he didn’t want to betray his friends. That the Dark Lord made him. Tried to make me understand his traitorous actions.’

Amelia shook her head wondering not for the first time that morning how such a self-serving creature such as Peter Pettigrew had ended up in Gryffindor the house of the brave and noble. Amelia knew Slytherins who were more loyal to their friends than this rat was. It just proved what Amelia had been saying all along that houses meant nothing in the long run.

‘Has he made any attempt to escape?’ asked Amelia.

‘Oh yeah,’ Mina said. ‘Turns out he’s an Animagus.’

Amelia nodded already aware of that titbit of information thanks to young Heir Slytherin. Thank Merlin that Pettigrew hadn’t managed to escape due to them not knowing that information. Amelia wished that Heir Slytherin had been around to tell her that before they had arrested Pettigrew as without Pettigrew there would be no way to prove any of this.

‘Then I take it Pettigrew tried to escape using his Animagus form,’ Amelia said.

Mina nodded her ascent, ‘he managed to transform before I realised what he was just as I was Apparating.’

‘Must have hoped you would leave him behind where he could escape into the grounds,’ Amelia said. ‘He could have remained scavenging for food for years even if he could not escape the wards. It would be neigh on impossible to track down a rat.’

Mina nodded, ‘that’s what I thought. Luckily I managed to force him to change back and have him secured with a magic suppressor so he can’t transform or use any magic.’

‘Good,’ Amelia said. ‘You’ve done well. I want this kept quiet until I say so.’

‘Yes, ma’am,’ Mina said quickly.

Amelia entered the cell to see the little rat of a man – or was that a man of a rat – sniffling pathetically on the floor like a very ugly overgrown baby. Soon as Amelia entered to room he began begging her for mercy as if a man who betrayed his best friends to a mass murderer deserved mercy from anyone. But Pettigrew continued begging Amelia just to let her go.