Chapter 13

"So wait, you're telling me the Huron Household is getting executed today?" Irene asked Elle once again, Elle who had brought a newspaper in while Irene was eating breakfast, and told her.

"And it was the Grand Duke who issued the arrest last night," Irene continued as she was flabbergasted, she was shocked how fast it was taken care of. All of sudden Irene started to smile and looked towards Elle and said.

"What they did was a horrid deed, they deserved what was coming," Irene stated calmly, she couldn't help but imagine Rascal's face when they were caught just like how Irene said. She ate her breakfast with joy the whole morning. She was in a great mood.

"What a horrible fucking day," Irene mumbled, Ralph heard what she said and spit out the water he was drinking. "What did you just say?" Ralph asked, "I said what a sunny day," Irene replied smiled brightly.

"Oh, must have misheard then," Ralph whispered to himself as he watched his lady smiling innocently.

Why was Irene in such a bad mood you must be wondering? Well, right now she is in a carriage that is preparing to go to the Royal Palace, even though she went yesterday. Irene looked out the window as she heard voices from the workers and Elle. As soon as Elle sat down across from her beside Ralph, the carriage started to move.

Irene then recalls the conversation she had with the Grand Duke. (One day, Irene will address him as father, heh)

30 MINUTES BEFORE

"Lady Irene has arrived," the butler told the Grand Duke, he then nodded as a gesture to let her in.

"Sorry for the intrusion, what is it that you called me for," Irene asked getting to the point, she thought to herself that she is getting bolder, but like who cares.

"I have arranged a playdate for you with the Crown Prince today," he said still looking at the big window behind his desk. Irene forced a smile, "Oh really, and is that all?" Irene asked.

"No, also your engagement will be announced tomorrow" the Grand Duke responded bluntly, "Oh okay," Irene responded, knowing that was all, and just curtsied and left.

PRESENT

"Are you excited?" Elle asked carefully as she looked towards her lady looking out the window, "Here and there," Irene responded.

"Oh alright then," Elle didn't want to bother Irene in her deep thought as she was worried for her then she turned to the man who was beside her. Then is when they started the look conversation.

'What do we do?' Elle gave that look to Ralph.

'We do nothing' Ralph responded, even though he was a bit worried as well.

'NOTHING?! We need to do something as Irene's trusted subordinates' Elle gave him a determined face, Ralph just chuckled.

'Fine, what do you want to do?' Ralph replied with another look.

'Make this carriage ride more lively' Elle responded.

"What in the world are you guys doing?" Irene asked stopping their conversation, "Are you guys flirting?" Irene asked once again, stopping herself from smirking as she saw both of the faces turning a bit red.

"No it's-" Elle tried to defend them, but was cut off by Irene, "If you guys want to do that, do it when we arrive at the palace," Irene said, then Elle's face flushed. Irene started to laugh.

"Hey, is it alright to tease us like this?" Ralph said puffing even though he was 27, Irene stopped laughing and smiled, "You aren't in denial," Irene noticed, and Ralph quickly turned quiet. Irene smirked as she made this comment, "Look who finally shut up?"

Elle let out a burst of laughter, agreeing with Irene's comment. Ralph quickly started to blabbing the most random stuff.

And let's just say the carriage ride was a lot more lively afterward.

"We're here m'lady," said Ralph as he stood out and gave Irene a hand to help her get out, Irene just took his hand and quickly step out and was amused with how Elle interacted with Ralph's hand.

At least something is going my way, Irene thought smiling.

She heard things about the execution of the Huron Household that they are set for next week. Irene got shivers thinking about that, about her if she got executed.

Sasha, of course, was there to greet her and brought her to their Majesty and had a quick talk as she left to the library where Josiah was in. Sasha was also complaining to her mother about how she couldn't accompany them even if she wanted to.

Irene walked with Elle and Ralph there as they arrived, Irene just told them to wait outside, and they gave her an 'are you sure' look and Irene just nodded.

Irene then entered the library was greeted with sharp violet eyes looking at her, Irene then curtsied since, you know he still the Crown Prince. Then they both gave an introduction to one and another.

"Thank you for coming," Josiah said, Irene responded, "The pleasure is mine,"

Today Irene was wearing a comfortable white flowy dress with small yellow flowers on the bottom, also with her hair tied up in pigtails with yellow ribbons. Josiah was a head taller than Irene and was wearing a white button-up shirt with gray slacks and had his round glasses on for reading.

This playdate was simple, Irene plans to read in the library with Josiah and talk here and there and end it there. Irene then went off searching for a book she had not read before, she quickly looks around and saw a book that caught her eye.

'The Fog of No Return' that was the book's title if she remembered correctly, that is a forbidden place in the Solan Empir, the obvious reason was it was called the Fog of No Return, this fog was located in a forest in the east and the forest, it was surrounded with fog, heavy and thick.

The old legend that once you go in the forest, you go to the deep end and where you will be greeted by a tree that would answer all your questions, and some people did go in, but they never returned. It was quite sad for the families. Then it was named that, and yes people still believe in the existence of such a tree.

Irene grabbed the book, and of course, Irene knew the answer from what she read of the web novel, this tree located in this forest was the World Tree, a myth some say. No one really knew that that tree in the legend was the World Tree.

But to Irene, it was literally the most obvious thing in the world. Irene took the book and went and sat across from the Crown Prince of the long table. Josiah quickly caught an eye on what she was reading and asked about it.

"Why are you reading a book about an old legend?" Irene looked at Josiah and said, "Well, the legend itself is a whole mystery and I was curious about it," Irene of course knew the truth, but decided to play dumb.

The fog in the forest was not just any fog, it can detect if someone goes in there with heavy greed, so if they do, well you get trap in there until you die. You need to go in with pure intentions, and Irene for one, who wishes to not go anywhere near it.

"I see..." Josiah commented before reading his book, and Irene opened her book and started to read. They did talk here and there, but nothing much. However, one question got Josiah interested and curious.

"Do you know if there are any old books in this library about spirit summoners," Irene asked, she wanted to see if any of those summoners went down in history, maybe some other details too.

"Hm, I think so," Josiah responded curiously, he noticed that Irene who is finished her book and wanted to know why, but he has a feeling.

"Irene, do you want to be a spirit summoner perhaps?" Josiah asked as he saw Irene flinch a bit.

~Author's Note~

OKAY THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR 4.9K READS LIKE WHAT and what will happen next? Oh yeah I am changing my cover, so don't be shocked if it's different!

1368 words, gah!

- ANMU