Chapter 46

"That was odd," Irene said to herself as soon she left the room then she heard Darius's voice.

"I'm sorry."

Irene looked back and continued to walk away, Irene was too tired to comfort some boy going through puberty or something.

Josiah was not far from her, Irene looked at the boy's back as he walked away and went the opposite way to meet up with Alice.

Irene saw that Alice was sitting by herself in the room, seems like the Grand Duke and his three minions left.

"Irene!"

Alice ran up to Irene, "D-did they fight?" she asked, Irene, shook her head.

"Of course not," Irene replied.

Who in their decent minds will fight at a funeral?

"Thank god..." Alice let out a deep breath of relief, "It was my first time seeing the Crown Prince up close," Alice spoke.

Irene then looked at Alice straight in the eye, "I'm glad I met my best friend's fiancée!" she cheered.

"He better treat you right," Alice said to Irene, and Irene's eyes widened then soften as she laughed.

The odd thing is, you actually became his lover later on...

Irene just smiled as she listened to Alice talking, they sat on the couch as Alice rambled and rambled. Irene listened carefully, she learned a lot about Alice through the conversation.

"I didn't expect my parents to leave me so soon."

"I wished I could have lived up to my parents' expectations before they died."

"I wish I could be better."

Irene watched as the child rambled on, with tears growing in her clear eyes.

"Irene!"

Alice suddenly screamed and caught Irene off guard, Irene jumped a bit and replied.

"I have to tell you something, I can't hide it anymore," Alice said nervously looking at Irene as she gripped Irene's hand.

"Y-yes, what is it?" Irene asked caught off guard.

"Irene, someone was talking to my father and mother before the fire started," Alice said quietly as her eyes looked around the room.

"What?"

"Someone caused the fire," Alice said seriously.

Yeah, that I know, but who?

"Alice, do you perhaps know who the person could be?"

"I-I don't remember, I only saw the man's back," Alice said suddenly crying, Irene watched the miserable girl.

"It's been eating me alive Irene, it's the fact I can't say anything about this matter, makes me want to puke," Alice said as she sobbed.

Irene felt that this situation was rather pitiful.

The white-haired girl went for a hug and quietly whispered in Alice's ears.

"Don't speak of word of this."

"Huh?"

Alice backed away, and her eyes trembled as she saw Irene's expression.

Irene had a cold appearance, something Alice haven't seen. Alice had never seen this side of Irene.

"The topic is dangerous," Irene said softly as her cold face faded away quickly.

"Why?"

"No more questions Alice," Irene said as she stood up, "Let's go now," Irene grabbed Alice's arm, and took off.