Chapter 40

After weeks passed, Irene was hesitant to summon the last one and the date of the Count's death was approaching a lot of things were going on in the girl's head.

Time goes by way too fast for Irene.

"What the actual fuck," Irene swore as she stopped working on the homework she was assigned.

The Count's death day is tomorrow.

Irene had to do what had to be done, she called Mal after dinner.

"Mal," Irene called in as Mal waited to be let in, "You called me?" Mal asked curiously. Irene looked at the white-haired girl drink her tea calmly.

Mal was sort of nervous, this was a first in a long time since Irene called her in such a seriously private matter. Irene put down her teacup, "No one is near the door now right?" Irene asked.

"Yes," Mal responded swiftly, in which Irene smiled.

"Remember the first time I told you to sign a contract," Irene spoke helping Mal recollect memories from long ago, however, Mal remembered the moment very clearly.

Young Irene looking at Mal, gave hope to her, Irene does not notice the impact she had on Mal. Mal was eager to hear what she was going to say next.

"Mal, in the contract it stated that whenever I, Irene order you to do something that involves your type of work, you must not question it," Irene said, Mal realized the situation.

Irene needed her skills then Mal kneeled in front of Irene, "What's your command Young Miss," the assassin asked.

Holy shit, this is pretty cool...!

Irene had a mental freak out due to this, she might appear calm but she was fangirling as she spoke.

The silence, the nervous and eager thoughts in Mal's head as Irene took a slow deep breath, "Mal, please investigate and guard the Count's carriage," Irene suddenly dropped the bomb that Mal was waiting for.

Mal was struck with curiosity and reframed herself from asking any questions, "May I ask for the location," she asked. Mal has earned Irene's trust, she didn't even ask any questions. Irene's eyes widened, after a moment of silence, Irene explained where was Count's carriage.

"I had acquired information from someone, that the Count's carriage is in danger," Irene explained, Mal's eyes widened, but didn't speak.

"Mal I entrust you with the job to keep the Count alive." Irene enunciates seriously. "It's an honor, I will fulfill your command," Mal spoke solemnly.

"Be at the location by 10 pm tomorrow," Irene finished off the conversation and Mal bowed then left.

Irene then flopped on her bed, she then sighed loudly, "Ahh, that was scary," she said.

"You were so cool, that's why you are my contractor!" Undine appeared and started to break the quiet atmosphere.

"I agree, you handle it quite well," Salamander concurred calmly with Undine.

Sylph just watched the two quietly and nodded. Irene felt more relaxed hearing the words of her comforters. Irene had developed a quite nice relationship with them, they are understanding and easy to talk to.

Irene took a deep breath, "I think I am going to summon Gnomes," Irene said to them, "On the Count's death day?" Undine asked confused, Irene felt something stab her.

"No...I planned to do it today, just forgot the fact the Count is going to die today..." Irene spoke, she started to feel sad, the Count was really the best.