Chapter 69

The crowd is huge, people pushing and shoving each other to see if they passed and when they didn't...

People cried.

The crowd was mixed with cheers and cries, once the carriage of the Grand Duke swung open, sharp gazes stare.

It was overwhelming for Alice; however, Irene is quite used to these glances, she was always in attention where ever she went as Irene Garica.

Even when she wanted it or did not want it, it followed her.

The two girls linked arms as they walked up to the large board with only two guards behind them.

Whispers from the crowd, Irene listened to the small breeze gathering rather than the squeaking mouses.

Irene looks toward the crowd with a cold stare, space was created for them to walk through.

I have a higher noble title compared to the crowd, I am looked down in secret but once I turn my attention to them, I will be greeted with respect.

They suck.

Irene's thoughts echoed throughout her head as she finally walked up to the board and she wasn't really surprised by the result.

"Irene! We are in the top 5!"

Alice cheered and hugged Irene tightly as Irene stared blankly at the result, "See, we passed since of our hard work," Irene smiled and patted Alice's hands that were around her waist.

Irene was first.

Alice was third.

Irene smiled at the name below hers, "Sasha also passed."

Sasha was second.

Irene kept her composure, rumors will think she cheated...which isn't surprising, seeing how bad Irene's reputation was in the banquet, this is going to start a spark.

The two were congratulated by the crowd, full of smiles, and threw compliments.

Empty compliments, huh?

Irene laughed in her mind, she started at the crowd with a blank expression and left with smiling and blushing Alice into the carriage.

"Do you not get shy when people are cheering and complimenting you?"

Alice said as if she was in a fever dream.

"So? It's all part of people a noble that has a high title," Irene brushed off the comment, Alice continued to speak about how nice the people were.

Irene looked out the window of the moving carriage.

Nice people?

Irene saw what Alice did not see.

Sneering and greed were all over their face.

Alice was truly too innocent for the nobility and...a sucker for compliments.

Irene looked toward Alice without interest and she was still going on about the compliments said to her.

She reminds me of Moon Cha-hee.

She was always a sucker for compliments.

Empty compliments.

Irene shook off the sudden memories flowing inside her head, "Argh..." she felt a headache developing and her hand was supporting her head.

Alice noticed, "Oh god! You must be tired, I'll stay quiet now," Alice said determinedly.

Irene closed her eyes, relaxing her mind.