"you could've been the one standing there." - bughead

He had pondered on going for weeks. When Betty had personally come to see him, hopeful eyes and a guilty step, she had basically begged him to come to her wedding, and his heart had stopped.

Just as he was about to decline her offer, he could see the tears that were suppressing her eyes. Her desperate posture, hand on his arm. And so he'd said he'd think about it.

He needed to go, for her.

So there he sat, all suited up, staring at the aisle she was about to walk onto.

The venue was decorated with a rosey theme, and just by the sight of it Jughead could tell Betty hated it. Definitely Archie's choice.

Toni was seated beside him, and Jughead could feel her compassionate stare in his back.

"I'm fine." He assured the woman, exhaling.

"No, you're an idiot," Toni threw back, "you could've been the one standing there, you know." She was pointing toward Archie standing by the end of the aisle.

Jughead exhaled, shaking his head. "Please don't start, Topaz."

"Fine, have it your way. But after this she'll go with him to build a home, and she won't be back."

Jughead licked his lips, frustrated. "I know, okay? I know that."

"Just saying." Toni sighed as she sat back down against her chair.

Jughead sat in silence again, his teeth grinding.

After a while, bridal music started to play through the venue. Jughead stopped the running of his thoughts and turned to look at the still closed doors.

It was a bare second of waiting, before the doors opened, and a white dressed Betty stood there.

Jughead could feel his heart beating in his throat, his hands becoming clammy. This wasn't the occasion he'd imagined seeing her in a wedding dress for the first time.

She was an absolute sight for sore eyes. Hair bunched up in a messy, but neatly folded bun. Lightly applied makeup, not much different than her usual look. It was very Betty, and Jughead could feel the tears come rushing to his eyes.

"Idiot." He could hear Toni mutter from behind him, and Jughead had to agree this time.

As Betty walked by him, Jughead watched her. His eyes were so haunting that Betty could basically stare right down his soul if she'd look back at him.

She didn't.

When she finally reached the end of the aisle, and Archie took her hands, the ceremony began.

It was all officials at first, the priest speaking. Jughead had his eyes glued to the golden blonde.

He hadn't really given a thought to what the priest was saying, until a certain combination of words stood out to him.

"Should anyone present know of any reason that this couple should not be joined in holy matrimony, speak now or forever hold your peace."

A deafening silence ran through the venue, and Jughead could audibly hear his own heart beating.

Without actually knowing what he was doing, he stood up. Every guest had their eyes instantly glued to him, but Jughead didn't say a word.

"Sir, do you have something to say?" The priest asked, and it seemed that only then it hit Jughead that he was standing.

"Uh.. no.. sorry." He excused himself quietly before sitting back down.

The priest shook it off and started talking again, but Betty had her eyes still on Jughead. For a second, he though he saw a shimmer of desperation there, but it was gone before he could interpret it.