"he's really gone, isn't he?" - sprousehart

She was seated in their apartment when the news came to her. Her phone rang, and she picked it up.

Matthew Sprouse

Her face scrunched up into a frown, Cole's father never called her.

"Mr Sprouse?" She asked, slightly confused, when she answered the phone and held it by her ear.

"Oh Lili.." His voice was dripping with sadness and Lili could hear someone crying in the background.

"W-what's w-wrong?" She stammered, her heart taking an extra beat.

"I wanted to tell you in person, but it's unfair to let you wait that long. You were the most important to him." In some way, Lili knew what was about to come, but she could barely progress it.

Her hands turned clammy, her eyes moist. "Cole died today, in a car crash."

She had been crying on the floor for hours on end. Sobbing hysterically as she yelled for his name in the silence.

"Come back to me." She eventually started whispering over and over again, her head in her shaking hands.

"Please, please." She was now laying flat on the ground, curled up like a ball. Just like he used to hold her. "I need you." She started hyperventilating, her body releasing her pain. And then she blacked out.

"Lili!" It was Camila's voice that rang through the woman's ears as she awakened.

The memory of the earlier happenings came back to her as her eyes fell on Dylan. He was sitting on the opposite side of the hospital room she was in.

Tears ran down her cheeks again while she closed her eyes. Trying to go back to him. To hear his voice one more time.

"He's really gone, isn't he?" She proceeded to ask, her eyes opening and focusing themselves on Dylan. He nodded, his face wet with tears.

Lili broke down into a mess of sobs, clutching the pillow by her bedside.

Camila came to sit beside her, stroking Lili's head as she cried along with her.

"Sweetheart, you home?" Lili smiled as she lit the last candle before hopping out the room.

Her beloved boyfriend stood there, a gentle smile layering his lips.

"Always." She smirked, grabbing him by the collar and claiming his lips to hers. "You taste good." She mumbled in between their tiny kisses.

"Well so do you, darling." He laughed, his hands tangling in her hair.

"I've got a surprise for you." The blonde smirked, tearing her lips away from his. Instead she threaded her fingers through his, and guided him to the bedroom.

Rose petals covered the bed, and candles were on all the shelves they owned. Two glasses stood waiting for them on Lili's nightstand.

"I didn't get to wish you a proper happy birthday." Lili said, a gleaming smile on her face.

Cole could only stare at the room in awe, before his eyes fell back onto her. His eyes started sparkling and he stepped closer to her, his arms pinned to her waist.

"I love you." He whispered.

"I love you too." She whispered.

Their lips locked together in a warm, happy kiss. "Happy birthday, love."