"are you related to betty cooper?" pt. 1 - bughead

"Hello class, I'm your new math teacher Mr. Jones." Jughead started, standing in front of his class for the first time back in Riverdale.

He left the town 15 years ago and decided this would be a good time to go back and give classes at his old high school.

"So now that I introduced myself, I would like to hear your introductions." A raven haired girl happily raised her hand.

The second Jughead looked at her, she looked familiar. Like really familiar.

"Can I start?" She exclaimed, her eyes green and bright.

Jughead looked at her once more. "Sure." He replied, on which the girl started talking.

"Okay so, my name is Sophia Cooper, I really like writing and dancing. When I grow up I want to be a writer." She introduced herself.

Jughead's eyes widened and almost popped out of his head. "Cooper?" He gasped. The girl gave him a confused look. "Are you related to Betty Cooper?" Jughead then asked.

Sophia nodded. "Well yeah, she's my mom." She explained and laughed soft. "Why do you ask?" Jughead felt how his breath stuck in his throat.

Betty Cooper, the girl he left 15 years ago, the girl he never really moved on from. The girl he loved and will always love.

Now he was there, in his new class, with the daughter of his true love.

Jughead started the lesson but couldn't seem to take his eyes of Sophia, deciding which features of her face and body she got from Betty.

Definitely those bright green eyes and the waves in her hair. Her writing dream was most certainly inherited from Betty as well.

Yet the raven hair color and the dark clothes, definitely not Betty.

Once the class was finally finished, and Jughead's mind was still spiraling with he fact that Betty Coopers's daughter was in his class, she suddenly came up to him.

"How do you know my mom?" Sophia questioned, still confused by that fact.

For a second Jughead was quiet, realizing that this girl could get him in contact with Betty again. "She was in my class when I was in high school." Jughead explained to her.

"This might be weird, but can you please tell me your address. I really need to see her again." Jughead asked awkwardly while Sophia debated in her head for a while before nodding.

"Okay." She bluntly replied and wrote the address down on a small piece of paper.

"Just be careful with her, she's fragile. My stepfather just left us a few weeks ago and she is still a mess." Sophia demanded before walking out of the classroom.

Jughead stood there for a few moments, leaning on the desk behind him to prevent himself from falling.

His eyes were closed and his breath was unsteady.

He was gonna see Betty again. And she was single now.

--

With a deep breath and stuffing all his courage together, he knocked on the white front door of the house.

After some stumbling sounds and a few curse words, the door got pulled open and Jughead came eye to eye with the blonde goddess.

She was just as pretty as she was back in high school, if not even prettier. Her wavy blonde hair fell on her shoulders, instead of in the usual ponytail.

Her pierce green eyes met with his, and in that instant, her entire world stopped for second.

Betty Cooper was beyond shocked to see her high school boyfriend leaning by her front door.

She couldn't seem to move a muscle or let a world escape her lips. "Hi." Jughead said, his voice nervous and completely stunned.

Without a word Betty broke down in a wave of tears. Her legs buckled underneath her, as she would've tumbled to the ground if it wasn't for Jughead catching her.

His hands held her, one on her lower back and one on her upper back. Carefully he picked up the sobbing blonde and carried her inside the house, towards the couch, where he placed her down.

She grasped the nearest pillow and held it against her body, squeezing it tightly. Jughead settled down on the couch next to her, taking a small distance between them.

Betty cried in the pillow she held, trying to calm herself down. Her eyes were fixated on Jughead, as they were filled with tears and disbelief.

"What are you doing here? How do you know where I live?" Betty finally asked once she had calmed down and her tears had stopped rolling.

"Your daughter is in my class." He blankly replied, his eyes still stuck on her.

"Oh." She said, moving an inch closer to Jughead.

"I heard your husband left you a few weeks ago." Betty nodded, her tears threatening to spill out again. "Is Sophia his child?" Betty then shook her head.

"No, little Olivia is tho." She said, pointing at the crib at the other side of the room. A tiny girl was peacefully sleeping inside of it.

"Do you miss him? Your husband?" Jughead asked. Betty nodded before breaking down into a mess of sobs and hiccups again.

This time Jughead didn't hesitate for a second and wrapped her up in his arms. She cried in his chest, her tears soaking his shirt. Her tiny hands grasped his shier as she held him close to her.

His scent and his familiar muscled calmed her in a way no one else could. "Shhh, it's okay." Jughead soothed the words into her ear, rocking her back and forth softly.

When Betty managed to stop her tears from running, she kept her head in his chest. "I missed you." She whispered.

Those words made Jughead let out a quivery breath. She missed him, just like he missed her. "I missed you too." Jughead said and ran his hand through her blonde hair.

"I know we didn't leave on good terms, and I'm here to fix that." Jughead then continued, knowing this is something he had to do to win her back.

"I'm sorry for pushing you away, I'm sorry for abandoning you and standing you up for the Serpents so many times. I'm sorry for all the dates I missed, I'm sorry for all the late nights I got home drunk and I'm sorry for all the times I screamed at you." He felt Betty smile softly in his chest.

"Look, I'll be apologising for it for the rest of my life, but I really am sorry. I was not myself and I felt the need to protect you from the danger I was getting myself in." Jughead spoke the words slowly, as to not be misunderstood by Betty.

"I love you." He then said after a long pause. Betty gasped, releasing her head from his chest.

She looked at him, trying to figure out if he was lying or not. She couldn't find a trace of mockery, it was only love and sorrow.

Without responding, Betty tilted her head and pressed her pinkish lips against his. "I love you too." She said once the kiss was broken off.

part two will come soon! manon x