𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟑: 𝐅𝐢𝐧𝐝 𝐚 𝐰𝐚𝐲

| CHAPTER 13 : FIND A WAY |

A heater enveloped my body making me feel nothing but heat, heat and heat. Sweat trickled down my forehead, my armpits and my back, seeping into my clothes. I opened my eyes with a painful exhausted sigh. My hands fisted the covers underneath me. Everything seemed blurry with a layer of sweat covering my face. The lightbulbs looked like wide hazy stars above me.

A face loomed over mine with a cloth gently and frequently dabbing at my face.

Fatigue and tiredness were all I could feel, the heat and lack of fresh air making it worse.

It took some while and breaths to shift my tired eyes around. This room...King Alpha's room. I'm on his bed.

To my side, Katia dipped a cloth in a bowl of water before pressing it to my forehead.

"Katia." I breathed out, confused.

She gently smiled, "You tried."

"What's happening?" I asked, furrowing my eyebrows.

"You're having a severe fever. It's all part of what King Alpha had planned." 

King Alpha.

The name itself brought a small sense of resentment and anger in me.

"Plan?"

She gave a nod, "That mark," she said referring to the one on my neck, "if your mate doesn't mark you back, then the mate who's been marked dies within a few months. Since you're human, the mark is affecting you at a faster rate. The mark makes you feel stronger at first. Then, it absorbs all your strength making you weak."

I didn't have the energy to act shocked or furious.

"How can I save myself?" I asked instead.

Her perfect curvy lips tugged into a look of a pity smile as she slowly shook her head, "It's gonna be hard."

"Everything in my life has been-" I sucked in a deep breath when I felt my lungs would combust without me not breathing for even two seconds, "-hard since he stepped into my life." I laced as much venom as I could to my voice.

"Maybe this was your fate all along." She pressed the cloth to the side of my head.

My fate? Anger bubbled within me. This was my fate?

I've been raised in lies and secrets, my brother - who doesn't seem like my brother anymore - kept me in the dark about who he is, about what I am, about this entirely different world. I've been hypnotized or whatever the hell Collin did to me, erased of my own memories and now I leave this world without getting proper answers, without actually knowing what the hell went wrong, why the witches mated me to King Alpha?

I think the hell not.

"What are you doing here?" I asked Katia, "I thought King Alpha ended you or something."