⇛ 𝐂𝐇. 𝟏𝟕

𝐟𝐢𝐟𝐭𝐡 𝐲𝐞𝐚𝐫

𝐚𝐮𝐠 𝟔 𝟏𝟗𝟗𝟓

yunhee tried her best to stay quiet while she danced around her room, holding the letter of confirmation that her and jeno would be the prefects of hufflepuff, but she ended up tripping over a piece of clothing and her letter fell out her hand.

the door swung open in a second and yunhee's mother stormed in with bed hair and a pack of cigarettes.

"what the fuck are you doing?"

"uh... nothing." yunhee scrambled to pick up the letter, but her mother reached it first. she read the contents then let out a mocking laugh.

"that shit school." she pulled out a lighter from her pocket and set the corner of the letter on fire.

"no! don't!" yunhee cried out, trying to take it away from her. it was too late.

the letter was ruined. it wasn't that the letter would be needed to prove to the school that she was a prefect now — no, they already have it on records — it was more that the letter was comforting to her. she was missing her friends and hogwarts a lot and this was the first letter regarding them both that she had gotten in weeks. the last time she wrote to anyone was towards the beginning of the holidays when she managed to hide a letter she received from renjun and send him one back with a picture of her house that he wanted.

"you're not going back to hogswamp." her mother said, tossing the burnt letter aside as she started making her way downstairs.

"it's called hogwarts and i am!" yunhee followed after her, raising her voice which was something she wouldn't usually dare do.

"don't you dare yell at me!"

yunhee fell to floor, holding her cheek as she glared up at her mother. she bit her tongue at the pain that came with the slap. she had endured the physical abuse during the holidays and treated the wounds herself. the cut lip, the bruised eyes, bruised arms and cigarette burns, but the slap seemed to awake something in her. a sudden rage.

"oh, i will yell at you!" yunhee got up on her feet. "i will do what i damn well want! you cannot control me just because you gave birth to me. i don't care if you tell me i can't go back to hogwarts because i will go back no matter what — even looking like i was used as a punching bag. hogwarts has been more of a home than this house has and my friends have been more of a family than you and dad have ever been!"

before anything else could escalate, the front door behind yunhee burst open and an older girl ran in. she grabbed yunhee's arm and next thing the hufflepuff knew, everything went black. she felt like she was being pressed from all sides, her chest tightened, her eyeballs burned and her stomach felt like it was being flipped all around the place.

when she finally felt whole again, her eyes were set on a conveniently placed bin in the middle of an overcrowded kitchen and dining room. she crashed to the floor, leaning over the bin as she emptied out her stomach.

a hand rested on her back, rubbing it. "it's alright, dear."

she recognised the voice to be chenle's mums, but she couldn't look up to greet her and instead waited for herself to calm down. once she was done, mrs zhong helped her clean up by the sink then she turned to hug her.