⇛ 𝐂𝐇. 𝟒𝟒

𝐚𝐮𝐠 𝟏 𝟏𝟗𝟗𝟕

loud music seeped out from the large tent in the middle of a field. it was where the wedding of chenle's cousin and his fiancé was taking place. most people thought it was weird that a wedding was being held at such an awful time, but others thought it was appropriate timing. with a war going on, there were so many uncertainties. a family member or close friend could die the next day and may never get the chance to do what they wanted. that's why the wedding was taking place. it may have seemed rushed, but no one minded because the two were in love. it was the perfect event everyone needed.

yunhee and aerin, although agreeing with this, couldn't help but feel some bitterness. after finding out about hyejin being forced to get married to seonghyun, they felt uncomfortable at the idea of going to another persons wedding, a person who wasn't forced to marry someone they didn't love.

but still, they tried their best to enjoy their time. so when they saw jeno and chenle dancing in the middle of the tent with chenle's younger cousins, they decided to join.

"you suck at dancing." aerin said when yunhee tripped for the nth time.

"i don't." she argued, steadying herself by grabbing onto her arm. "it's these heels. if someone started chasing us right now, i'd die because i can barely walk."

"take your shoes off then." renjun suggested. the two hadn't even realised he was behind them until he spoke.

"wouldn't that be weird?"

"this entire wedding is weird. i don't think they'll mind a barefooted guest." he replied then held out his arm. "come on. sit down and take them off."

"i'll be right back." yunhee told aerin and let renjun guide her to a seat. she sat down, reaching to her ankles to take off the shoe straps, but renjun crouched in front of her, moving her hands away.

"let me."

"oh. okay..."

as he began freeing her feet from the painful heels, an awkward silence engulfed them. yunhee was trying her best not to let her mind wander off onto the events of yesterday, but with the boy being right in front of her it was much too difficult. when she felt his hands brush against her ankle, tickling her, she almost lost her breath.

"you know... about yesterday..." renjun began and she flinched, accidentally kicking him in the stomach.

"i'm so sorry!" she exclaimed, helping him sit back up.

"it's alright." he replied, rubbing his head. "i guess i deserved that after what i pulled. i want to apologise for doing that. it was uncalled for and frankly really odd of me to do. i don't know what came over me. you must have been really surprised."

"yeah, i was..." she replied and he glanced up at her, sighing as he pulled the last shoe off.

"i'm sorry."

"it's fine, it's fine. i won't be mad at you for it. there was something in the air for sure. i mean jeno and chenle did sim—" she paused and let out an uncomfortable laugh. "i mean they..."

"they what?" renjun asked, the icy glare from before returning.

yunhee didn't get a chance to reply as a blue ball of light flew into the middle of the tent, stopping the music and dimming the lights. she jumped out of her seat to see what was going on and everyone crowded around.

"the ministry has fallen. the minister of magic is dead." a voice spoke.

"renjun." yunhee muttered, latching onto his hand.