Chapter 6 - Rules

Nate almost threw his phone across the room when the alarm began to blare way too loud for his liking. However, when he saw the time, he exhaled a long groan before pushing himself from the bed. Seven in the morning was way too early for him, a time he would never get used to. It was especially difficult this morning since he had spent most of the night listening to the complaints and furious cried from Aunt Judy who had also gotten belligerently and had spent the night on his couch.

After Dante had left, she was brought back to Nate's apartment where she explained that Raphael had brought her to the back of a truck and told her to wait until further notice. After about an hour, he escorted her back to the apartment and left without any details to what had occurred. As if to make it worse, Nate had not thought of a good reason as to why Dante would have let him live and he admitted to Aunt Judy that he could not speak on their agreement or else he would kill the both of them.

Aunt Judy was not happy about that reveal, begging Nate to tell her. When he didn't, she began cursing at him, exploding her anger all onto him before grabbing a liquor bottle from his cabinet and pouring herself a few shots that were swallowed within thirty seconds. This continued for the rest of the night, until she finally passed out on the couch at three am in the morning. As for Nate, when he headed to bed, his mind had been running with vivid images from today; he was unable to push away Dante's face from his head. The way it had gotten adorably pink, how his eyes had widened as if he was a lost puppy giddy to be found, or even the sound of his panting as if he had too much heat within him from the throbbing his body made him feel.

He was unsure why he continuously thought about them, but he shuffled and twirled in his bed until a dream finally stole him. By then, it was already four am, and three hours of sleep was not enough for him.

He grumbled a few curses under his breath before pushing himself to his feet, lifting his arms and stretching all his stuff muscles that had tightened during the night. His eyes were still swollen when he left the bedroom and all he wanted to do was return to his bed and sleep until he felt fully rested. However, missing the first day of school would impede the rest of his year, hence why he started making his way to the kitchen after grumbling a few curses under his raspy breath.

He was shocked when he found Aunt Judy turning an omelette in a pan, the sizzling from the butter stimulating his mouth to water. Beside the pan was another one with slices of bacon, slightly helping his mood as he approached her to peer at them, his tongue aching for a slice.

"I made you stay up late," she sighed apologetically, too embarrassed to meet his gaze. "The least I can do is cook breakfast for your first day."

"You shouldn't have auntie." He saw a small smile pull her lips, a quick glance in his direction. "Besides, we had a long day yesterday. I'm glad you talked to me about it."

She stayed quiet for a moment and he noticed her smile had suddenly saddened. "Well, you're all I really have here," she admitted, turning off the burner and heading for the dining table where she slipped the omelette onto a plate. "I'm really glad you're here by the way."

Nate tilted his head; it always bothered him when he saw her upset. She was clearly not over the entire situation with Dante and most likely had other personal struggles happening in her life. Hence why, instead of throwing questions, Nate stopped her for a second, wrapping his arms around her shoulders from behind and leaning his forehead against the back of her head.

"I'm glad you're here too."

After breakfast, Nate left to shower and refresh himself for his first day of school. He never really cared about outfits, throwing on a plain shirt with sweatpants and before he knew it, he was out of the door with Aunt Judy walking in front of him, dangling her keys.

"You don't have to drive me," he repeated once more, glancing towards his own car in the parking lot as they exited the apartment building. "Besides, this means you have to pick me up since I won't have a ride after sc—"

She groaned in annoyance while opening her driver door. "Stop complaining—I want to talk to you about a few things."

When they were finally on the road, Nate with his arms folded over his chest, she exhaled a long sigh and began her chat. "A few things you need to focus on this school year."

"Auntie—"

"Shut up for once," she instantly interrupted him when he threw his hands in the air, knowing what was going to follow. "I just want to let you know what I'm expecting from you."

"You're not my mother."

"I never said I was your mother," she spat, furious that that had been brought up. Her eyes diverted towards him a few times before settling onto the path ahead. "But the only reason you moved in this city is because I stay here, isn't that right?"

Nate snorted. "I'm nineteen years old."

"Don't you think that says a lot? That you're still in high school at nineteen?"

"For one, I started school a year late so I was bound to finish late anyway—"

"And what about the entire year you were goofing off with your ex-boyfriend Eric so you failed literally every single class you had?" Judy raised an eyebrow challengingly, waiting for a response and knowing it wouldn't come when he scoffed and turned away from her, staring outside of the window to avoid her gaze. "Or is that not going to be brought up? Do you have any excuse for that?"

Nate folded his arms, mumbling a few curses but inaudible for her to hear. She returned her attention to the road and started on her list. "Anyways, here is all the things you need to focus on. First, no boys."

He chuckled while shaking his head. "You're out of your mind." 

"You can still have sex with them," she shrugged her shoulders. "But no relationships because that's the whole reason your behind."

He waved his hand, not wanting to hear anymore about her boy rule. "What else?"

"You have a curfew of midnight."

"I literally live alone."

She narrowed her eyes. "And I trust that you'll follow that rule. If not then I will call your mother and convince her to make you live with me so you follow that r—"

"I fucking got it!" he snapped, shaking his head. "What else Judy?"

She gasped when she listened to his hostile tone. "You better watch your fucking mouth young man."

"I'm sorry," he whispered quietly, narrowing his eyes towards the passing trees and wishing he hadn't accepted this ridiculous ride. "What else is there?"

"No grade lower than a B. Please play at least one sport. And very last rule..." she leaned towards him and when he glanced towards her, his head flinched backwards when he noticed how murderous her gaze appeared. "Have a lot of fun."