Chapter 7 - Ice Breaker

When Nate was dropped off, he was glad he no longer had to head her speak. He loved his aunt, he really did, but sometimes talking to her was way too much for him to deal with, especially when the conversations are not things he agreed should be emplaced. Regardless, he tightened his backpack straps around his shoulders and exhaled a long sigh as he eyed the school's name brandished at the front: George's High. He thought the name to be quite tacky but Aunt Judy always disagreed when he mentioned that.

Before he even entered the school, he pulled open the school map and memorized the pathway to each of his classes—he didn't want to seem to be a loser or a first year, which was why he had no trouble finding his English class at the start of the day. He didn't want to be the student who sat at the very front of the class to make sure all their notes were clear as day, hence why he took a seat at the very far corner of the classroom, leaving his backpack on the floor beside his seat.

Eventually, the students began filling up the room and there were a few people who caught his eyes that he couldn't restrain himself from staring twice. The first one was a blond guy with a slit through one of his eyebrows and dark freckles across his nose. The only reason he caught his attention was because he looked exactly like his ex-boyfriend, Eric. He was wearing their football varsity jacket and walked with two other men that seemed to be linebackers by how huge they were. Nathan wasn't really a fan of football players, especially their take on homosexuality. Most of them were usually afraid of admitting they didn't mind it or simply ignorant assholes who tormented anyone that said they were into it.

The next who caught his attention was a black-haired girl who sat beside him. She was chewing her gum as if wide as a cow which made him cringe and was practically wearing the same outfit he had. Thank goodness she wore navy sweatpants instead of black or else their outfit would have been identical, which would certainly be the target of unwanted teasing. Her hair was held on the messiest bun he had ever seen in his entire life.

She noticed too though, which was why she had paused before she sat beside him. Her eyes did not seem pleased, keeping them narrowed as she studied his face, as if she was noting down every single bone structure and crevice in her mind. Almost a minute had gone by and she still hadn't said anything and Nathan could not bare the peering of her dark chocolate eyes any longer.

"Why are you staring at me?" The attitude in his tone was evident, to which she crunched up her nose when she furrowed her brows.

"You don't have to be a bitch about it." She had plopped down onto the seat and folded her arms over her chest, lifting her feet onto the seat as well and letting her knees lean against the desk. "I thought maybe I knew you from somewhere so I was just thinking."

He had shaken his head. "I'm new."

She did not seem surprised nor pleased that he had been new. It was confirmed when she shrugged her shoulders and mumbled, "I don't care anymore."

Nathan narrowed his eyes, hearing the attitude in her tone as well and mimicked her, "You don't have to be a bitch about it." For some reason, this girl reminded him of his aunt and he was not interested in dealing with that at school as well. A smirk pulled her lips when he said that, rolling her eyes and shaking her head without a response.

"Alright everyone." The teacher had finally closed the door when the bell rang, symbolizing the commencement of classes. Nate's eyes lifted to him; it was a middle-aged man with a stomach that fell over his hips line. He had thick glasses hiding his eyes and when he glanced upwards, Nate snorted at the pointy length of his nose, almost resembling one of a witch from a legend.

"My name is Dr. King. I will be your English teacher for this semester." He glanced towards his calendar. "Today we are Tuesday, September 7th meaning we had a long time ahead of us. However, make sure you are keeping up with assignments because they will pile up." He stood in front of his desk, leaning onto the edge and he crossed his arms, glancing at each student's faces. "Since it's our first day, you know we need to do icebreakers."