Chapter 46 - Only Makes It Harder

Nate listened to his snores as if it was a melody to his favourite tune.

He observed his slightly parted lips widen by a millimetre with every of his inhales. The way his chest lifted and fell back down was smooth, his heartbeat slow and comforting, as if his entire body finally able to let itself have some rest. It was evident that Dante hadn't slept at all the previous night, since the moment Nate disconnected their lips and opened his eyes to meet Dante's gaze, they never opened. Instead, Dante tilted his head to the side and fell asleep, his naked body exposed.

The first thing Nate did was grab a rag and wipe his residue from his stomach, making sure he was clean enough to pull the blanket over his body. It was as if Dante was too lethargic to even pull his eyes open, mumbling a thank you and shuffling to comfort before he instantly collapsed into a deep sleep. Nate thought it was adorable the way he slept; his arms wrapped his pillow into a hug instead of having it under his breath, and it was Nate that had to grab the second one, lift his head and shove it underneath. His hair was messy but cute, almost the appearance of a kid that had too much energy to fall asleep until he hit his bed and passed out.

And throughout the time Dante was asleep, Nate stayed beside him, watching him. He watched the way his nose would wrinkle, or how his eyebrows would sometimes twitch. The cutest was when Nate wanted to hold his hand and brushed it against his, to which Dante instinctively interlaced their fingers, still in his sleep.

Nate didn't even know Dante had woken up. It was only when he heard, "How long have you been staring at me?" that he realized he had been caught. Dante's eyes were barely open, staring back at him. They were droopy and glossy, and he wiped them with his finger for a second before shuffling to his back and staring at the ceiling.

Nate smiled. "The entire five hours you've been asleep."

Dante furrowed his brows, his squinting eyes glancing over to the alarm clock on Nate's nightstand. "Shit, Raphael's going to be pissed," he chuckled before exhaling a huge yawn and stretching his arms towards the ceiling.

"He's still here?"

"He wouldn't leave without me," Dante mumbled. Then, he groaned before muttering, "I must've been tired."

Nate slowly nodded his head. "You're a deep sleeper."

"I also sleep talk sometimes," Dante sighed sadly, as if it was a negative trait to have.

"I know."

"It's always gotten me in trouble because I say things that I think about during the day," he snorted, shaking his head. However, Nate's words replayed in his mind which made him frown, glancing towards him with a suspicious look. "How do you know, did I say something?"

Nate swallowed hard, taking a short pause to think of his next response. There was no way he would admit to Dante what had truly been said, not with his droopy eyes staring at him this way. His tongue felt tangled as he thought of another excuse he could have for knowing that he slept talk.

"What did I say?"

The first word—or name—that came into his head to use as an excuse was, "Raphael."

Dante still stared at him skeptically before shrugging his shoulders. "I was dreaming about Raphael."

Nate raised an eyebrow. "What happened in your dream?"

Dante's eyes seemed to fall into a trance as he replayed the dream he had in his mind. "I can't remember why but we were in a truck and he was giving me a pep talk." Then his lips turned into a lengthy smile and he chuckled, "I think I said something wrong because he started chasing me with a knife and I had to run away."