Chapter 93 - "Happiness means being away from me..."

"We have to go back."

"I'm staying at my apartment," Nate spat harshly, glaring at Dante before turning away from him.

Dante, who had been driving one of his father's vehicles—he had to learn how to drive since he was the one escorting Nate around—glanced at Nate in the passenger seat for a few seconds. There was something odd from Nate's air in that instant, but he couldn't entirely pinpoint what it could be. Nate seemed more distant than he usually was, much colder and harsher, almost as if he was angry about something.

Dante furrowed his brows suspiciously, attempting to determine what could possibly have caused him to be in such a hostile mood towards him. Well, Nate was always hostile lately, but now was a bit more emphasized than usually. "Are you mad that you lost to Lucius?"

Nate rolled his eyes. "I don't give a fuck about Lucius."

Dante again paused, his eyes turning back to the road as his mind returning to running thoughts. "Are your injuries hurting you?"

"I'm fine, Dante," Nate snapped, narrowing his eyes towards him before grumbling curses under his breath. "Can't you drive quietly without asking all these questions?"

Dante's furrowed brows turned into a glare; being spoken to as if he had done something wrong angered him. "Nathan, what's going on?"

"I want to sleep in my apartment tonight—alone." He leaned against the window, distancing himself as far away from Dante as possible.

Even though Dante wanted to explode into a series of harsh counters, he inhaled a long breath to calm himself down. Whenever Nate became this way, the best course of action was to attempt to reason with him. Which was why Dante shrugged his shoulders and suggested, "I think it would be best if we went back to the base." When he heard a scoff from Nate, he added, "We'd be much more protected and—"

"Shut up, Dante." This time, his voice had grown higher, the perfect tone to cause Dante's lips to seal. At this point, the only thing keeping his composure was to remind himself that Nate had been spiteful with him for the last nine months, and he could definitely withstand one night.

He slowly nodded his head. "Alright, we can stay at the apartment for the night, but we have to go back in the morning."

"Didn't you listen?" Nate growled; he wasn't calming down the slightest. "I said I want to be alone."

Dante raised an eyebrow, glancing in his direction to see if he was serious. Nate's facial muscles didn't budge at all, meaning he was dead serious. "I'm ordered to stay with you at all times, you know this."

"I don't need you anymore, I can fight now."

His fingers tightening around the steering wheel. "That's not how this works, Nate. I can't just defy my dad's orders."

Nate's lip curled in disdain. "I guess I have to tell Draco that I don't need you anymore—"

"Alright," Dante interrupted coldly, chuckling for a few seconds as they came to a stop at a red light. They were lucky since it was the middle of the night and he shoved the motor into park. With one click, he had removed his seatbelt and completely turned his body to face Nate. "What's wrong with you?" When Nate simply lifted his chin and turned away, Dante snapped. "What's your problem?"

"I don't have a problem."

"You're being a dick for no reason."

"Does it even matter though?" Nate snickered, raising his eyebrows and finally facing Dante once again. "How about you go get Raphael back since you miss him so much? I'm sure your lives would be perfect again." That made Dante pause, a silence settling within the car that Nate couldn't withstand. He watched Dante repeatedly glance at him with a bemused look, his fingers still gripping the steering wheel tighter than he should be. Eventually, Nate hissed nastily, "Say something."