Chapter 86 - Who Your Father Is

"Kill me?!"

Melle was shocked.

Her lips began to quiver, but not in a way that she was near tears. Rather that her blood had began to boil from the moment that statement left Nate's lips. The disbelief was vibrant on her face, wrinkles forming on her forehead and her curled lip in disdain. She could barely even control her breathing anymore, her mind overly repeated what Nate had stated.

They all heard her inhale a sharp breath before she shrieked, "You want to have me killed?"

Melle's voice grew louder, unsettling the entire room. It was almost as if the fear of Draco had completely dissipated and it was only her and the boy she had saved and raised all from the goodness of her heart."After all I've done for you?!"

There was a slight guilt in Nate's heart that attempted to protrude. It was as if his old self tried to regain conscious and strength of him, trying to remind him of the inhumanity and cruelty behind these acts. For a split second, Dante saw it as well. It was as if the colour was returning into his eye and that his face was starting to brighten into an air of juvenile serenity, like the old Nate.

However, it was only for a split second.

Nate's brain filled with the torture he faced, the way they starved him, burned him, tore off a few teeth, removed his eye and amputated his arm without anything to relieve him from th excruciating pain. Suddenly, the feeling from the texture of the wheelchair seat became too prominent for him to ignore, reminding him of why his sight had only recently become this narrowed. Then, the recent memories that he experienced with Eric, how his entire mind had gone blank and the rush of adrenaline he felt when he was in control of Eric's fate, taking matters into his own hands and how amazing it had felt to finally get the revenge he deserved.

That was why he slowly nodded his head.

The old Nate would have been considerate of the fact that Melle had saved him, supported him until he was an adult and even returned not only for Judith's funeral but also to take Nate with her. However, this new Nate didn't care about these facts. All he cared about was the deceit ever since his birth.

And for that...

"Yes, I would." He leaned his elbow against the seat handle and tilted his head to the side, his palm on his cheek. Strangely, his expression had changed to boredom, as if Melle had become a nuisance. "I'm done being a pawn to all you guys' antics. I almost died being a good guy." A bizarre grin surfaced on Nate's visage as he shook his head. "I'd like to live by my own rules now." It made even Dante shudder; he had never seen Nate this way.

Melle almost choked on her own breath. Then, her rage had intensified way too much; if there was a chance for humans to produce fire, she would have been in flames. "I knew it, I knew I made a mistake staying connected to Judy because of you! I should have never saved you!" Her jaw tightened as she growled, "I should've let you rot in that base!"

"Oh yeah?" Nate challenged.

"Yes!" Melle screamed back, not turning away from him for an instance. "You never deserved to live! I should've never given you a chance!"

Dante felt uncomfortable with the sudden hostility through Nate. It didn't even feel as if he was a real being anymore, but an animal searching for its next prey and being fixated on Melle as his target. That was why he stopped Nate before Nate could respond. "Nate, maybe you should think this through."

"Shut up!" Nate snapped, his narrowed eye turning to Dante for a moment before he roared, "You're lucky your Draco's son or else I would've killed you too!"

Jake couldn't help but giggle, mumbling to himself, "This guy's trying to kill everybody."

"You have every right to be angry for not knowing the truth, but the fact that you're blaming me is why you should've never even existed in the first place! I wanted to tell you the whole time, it was Judy who said no!" That caused Nate's gaze to return to Melle. It was almost as if she had transformed into a different being; her eyes were bulging from their sockets and her face had gone pitch red from the anger; Nate had never seen her like this before.