Chapter 36 - Homecoming Annoucement

"A reminder that the homecoming after party is tonight at my home. I will be sending out the invitations on my social media accounts. It is still bring your own booze but get ready to have some fun!"

Madeline, captain of the softball team, had stood on a table during lunch time and made an announcement, on that caused banging on the tables, cheering from the students and groans from people like Nate who all they wanted to do was close their eyes for a few minutes.

He placed both his palms on his ears and grumbled, "They're being way too loud today."

"No they're not," Tyler disagreed, watching as Nate slammed his forehead against the table. "If you need to sleep, why not do it at night time like everyone else?"

"For once, I actually agree with you Nathan." Jules had heard their conversation as he approached the table, taking a seat across from Tyler and reaching for the pudding she had been eating, grabbing the plastic spoon that had been inside her mouth. "They're being disgustingly loud."

"I agree."

All three of their heads spun at the same time, Tyler letting out a startled scream as she instinctively shoved her entire body away from where she had heard the voice. Even Nate had been horrified, staring in disbelief at the curly blond man who eyed them with a bemused stare, glancing repeatedly between the three of them.

Their breath has grown heavy instantly, Tyler placing a palm over her chest and attempting to calm her rushing lungs. "You scared me."

"You scared all of us," Nate murmured, shaking his head. In an instant, he no longer felt tired but frightened by how Eric could have shown up without making a sound. It was almost as if he had been spying on them, attempting to listen in on their conversation while no one knew he was there.

"How the hell did you show up here?" Jules' tone was much more hostile than any of them had expected, as if there had been a long history of animosity between them.

Eric furrowed his brows, glancing towards the raised eyebrow of Tyler and the curious gaze of Nate. He couldn't help but exhale a chuckle as he pointed to the entrance. "I walked through the door?"

"When did you get here?" Tyler asked next.

He stayed silent for few seconds, in shock that they were really interrogating him. "When she made her homecoming announcement."

"I swear you weren't."

"You had your head down," he responded to Nate.

Tyler shook her head. "I didn't see you sit next to me."

"Too focused on your pudding," he smiled.

Jules was the last one. "I walked after the announcement and you weren't here."

Eric's eyes narrowed for a second. "Look how big your chest is, how can you see anyone sitting down?"

"You little—"

"Can we not do this?" Tyler muttered to Jules quietly, forcing a smile towards Eric, even though she despised the victorious smirk across his lips. Her eyes then returned to Jules and she finally captured his attention when she reached for his chin. "We're in a cafeteria."

Although Jules wanted to explode on a series of curses and intimidating insults, he scoffed and turned to look elsewhere, annoyed that Eric was allowed the final word.

"Anyway," Eric diverted the attention away from the hostility, seeing a few eyes turn to face him as he asked, "are you guys going?"

"I'm definitely going," Tyler grinned excitingly, reaching for the pudding Jules hadn't finished and grabbing her spoon back. "A night to drink is always a good deal with me. Are you?"

Tyler was surprised when Eric's eyes turned to Nate, who raised his eyebrows. His lips pulled into a smile as he asked, "Are we?"

Jules and Tyler glanced at one another.

Nate straightened his spine, his eyebrows dropping into a frown. "Why are you asking me?"

"I'm only going if you're going."

"Oh..." Tyler inhaled sharply.

It was not appealing to Nate who shook his head. "We're not together, you can make decisions on your own." He then pointed between the two of them and added, "We became friends yesterday."

"Sheesh," Jules commented, unable to stop himself from chuckling. "Not sure about you Eric, but on my end, it looks like you've just been rejected."

"Yeah," he grumbled under his breath, pushing himself to his feet. He knew Nate hadn't been in the mood the entire morning, but being ridiculed in front of the others was not something he could withstand, not even with someone he wanted to build a friendship. That was why he politely nodded his head, a sudden coldness resonating from his regard as he said, "I'll be out of your hair then. Have a good lunch."

"Eric—" Before he could say anything else, Eric was already out of the door, exiting the cafeteria with such rapidity that it was evident Nate and Jules had both upset him. Nate sent his fingers through his hair, groaning under his breath as he sent a glare at Jules. "Why did you have to say anything?"

"Excuse-me?"

"Never mind." Without even thinking, Nate stormed to his feet and raced out of the cafeteria. He wasn't even thinking as he continued down the corridor where he had seen Eric go, and found him around the corner down the corridor. "Eric, wait a second."

"I'm not mad Nate," he glanced over his shoulder, raising his hand dismissively before shoving it back into his pocket. "Just need a moment."

"I know you're upset, wait a second." Nate finally caught up to him, reaching for his shoulder and pulling him back. Although part of him wanted to resist, he unexpectedly felt a small but piercing guilt pinch the center of his chest. He felt as if he needed to be working on building a new friendship with him because of how much Eric had practically begged.

Eric didn't look at him, instead stared at the wall beside them, as if he was too distraught to even meet his gaze. Nate shrugged his shoulders, knowing exactly what would cheer him up even though he wasn't entirely sure he wanted to yet.

"I'll go to the party with you."