Chapter 14 - On Three

When Nate saw Tyler approach him at the end of the day, he tried to get away, shoving all his books in his backpack without checking for which one he needed. However, a few books fell while trying to be quick and he had to bend over and pick them up; the delay made Tyler catch up to him while he was still at her locker.

After their lunch hour, her side had been revealed but not his; he knew she was his sister but she had no idea why Nate had been protected by Dante. Dante was not a caring man; he had even killed some of his own siblings when they had betrayed the family, protection was not in his blood. If he had even hit Jake, a member of his team he had cherished and couldn't stop talking about from the moment he joined, as if Jake was all his pride, then Nate was definitely someone special to him, maybe even too special.

When Tyler tried to make a run for it, slamming his locker shut and taking a huge step away, she yanked the back of his shirt and he was taken aback by how strong her pull was, almost making him fall backwards. When he fixated his balance, aggressively turning to face her with his eyes narrowed, he spat, "What do you want?"

"Are you mad at me?" she asked bluntly, her finger pointing to her own chest.

He lifted his chin poutingly, turning his head to the side and squinting his eyes. "Not necessarily—"

"You're such a loser," she exhaled, leaning against the lockers beside them and folding her arms across her chest. "Anyway, I came to ask you if you're still coming tonight."

He huffed through his nose, lifting his chin even higher and turning his face the other way. "Nope."

"You little—" she gritted her teeth, furrowing her brows.
"Why not?!"

"Because," he folded his arms over his chest, broadening his shoulders, "you didn't tell me you were his sister."

"Because I'm not apart of that family anymore. And besides, you still haven't told me your reason as to why Dante's all over you and I'm not making a fuss of it," she retorted sharply, matching his tone.

He shrugged his shoulders. "If he wanted you to know, he would tell you."

"Then why aren't you coming to the bar tonight?!"

"Fine! Jesus, I'll go," he exhaled a long breath as he began walking away from her. "You're just as annoying as my aunt."

"And you're as annoying as my period," she snapped back, rushing behind him and slowing down once she finally reached his side.

Nate scoffed at her comment, but his eyes were no longer narrowed. To be fair, he strangely enjoyed Tyler's company; she reminded him way too much of his aunt by the way she was feisty and also had a comeback to anything. Even weirder was that he only knew her for a total of two days when it felt as if they knew each other for years—an odd sudden duo that he didn't exactly dislike.

He did feel guilty that he knew somewhat of her side but she didn't know why he was hanging around Dante. When Jake revealed that they were siblings, the bell for the next class rang and all of them got up from their seats. Jake stating that he would see him later to get to the bottom of this, therefore he never had the chance to admit what was happening.

But the guilt was annoyingly pondering in his stomach abs once they stepped outside, Nate starting to make his way towards his car, he paused his footsteps and said, "Your brother's using me." She didn't respond, simply frowned in confusion and he rolled his eyes, leaning forward before adding, "For his sexual desires."

When her face eased, slowly nodding her head as she understood what he meant, he quickly said, "But no sex though."

"Wait what..." she appeared confused again, tilting her head. "That makes no sense."

Nate exhaled sharply, glancing around and leaning towards her, wrapping an arm around her shoulders and pulling her towards the side where he knew nobody would be listening in on their conversation. After a short rest, he cleared his throat. "His kink is being dominated," he explained slowly, "so he likes being...insulted and practically...abused...it turns him on, but all that without any sex."

For a second, she didn't say anything nor did her facial expression change. But then, he saw a smirk pull her lips and she began laughing, tilting her heads backwards and holding her abdomen. He didn't understand what was going on, pulling away from her and waiting for an explanation.

"I already knew all of this." She snorted, laughing at him. "Why do you think I looked at you pretty long on the first day?" After a little while, she waved her hand dismissively and began walking away. "Dante already told me this; it's old news, loser."

"Then why did you—"

"Hey you two, ready to finish our conversation?" They both glanced upwards and cringed when they saw the blond football boy waving a hand, walking towards them. They both groaned; the last person they wanted to talk to was Jake. They had been saved by the bell, but this time, they had all the time in the wall and telling him to scram off was neither the best choice.

That was when he heard Tyler whisper, "On three, we bolt."

"Got it."

There was only silence as they heard the thrashing of the grass as he sneakers crossed through, a long smile stretching his lips. He began walking closer and both of them stood still, Nate waiting for the signal from Tyler.

But all of a sudden, she shouted, "Three!" and lunged away, sprinting away to the city bus and jumping onto it before Jake had the chance. As for Nate, he raced to his vehicle, roaring the motor and drifting away from the parking lot before Jake had any chance to question him.