Chapter 149 - "Open your mouth, babe."

"A lot of people love—" Before he had even been able to finish his sentence, or even stand from the bed, Nate had leaped forward, gripped onto a plastic spoon and dug his spoon directly in the center of the cheesecake and ripped a huge chunk. He shoved it inside his mouth, a bit of the icing lingering along his lips as he closed his mouth and released a sensual moan, the flavours melting through his tongue and causing all his nerves to buzz. It felt as though the sweetness was reaching every single organ and tissue within his body that he couldn't stop himself from shoving his spoon again.

With a mouthful, he muffled, "I haven't had this in so long."

Dante merely tilted his head and observed Nate, watching him continuously close his eyes with every bite, and tilt his head backwards as if his body was exploding with fireworks. He didn't even wait until he gulped the food before shoving another bite inside his mouth. He couldn't grab the box from Dante since his prosthetic arm laid limply at his side, thus Dante was having a front row seat to Nate's delight. At his six spoonful, it didn't even seem as if it was close to being his last one.

"Nate, you can slow down," Dante chuckled worriedly. "You'll choke if you eat this fast."

"It's been a while since I've made you choke." That instantly caused Dante to feel as if he choked on his own spit. Nate had his eye closed when he said that, hence when their gazes met and he noticed how Dante awkwardly glanced elsewhere, trying not to get all flustered even though his pink cheeks revealed the truth, Nate cackled, "I'm kidding."

"You're going to finish the whole thing," Dante snorted, watching Nate slice a chunk of the cheesecake and shove it inside his mouth without even having gulped his last piece.

Nate, with icing along his lips and still strawberry in his mouth which made his lips much more red, muffled, "You wanted some?" Dante grinned, shaking his head. The slight pause from Nate as he glanced down at the last two slices, made Dante think of how cute he appeared and how giddy he became when Dante shook his head. It was moments like these that Dante had failed to create in their past relationship, and seeing how happy Nate appeared by this was making his heart warm. As Nate continued to eat, he stated to Dante, "You were gone from the bar for a while."

"I know." Dante glanced elsewhere, feeling a bit embarrassed as Nate finally grabbed the last slice. When he did, Dante closed the box and set it aside, finally glad that he could pour himself a glass of champagne to calm his nerves. Even though he had planned this, he had never really been on this sort of date before, and it was making him feel quite anxious.

Nate finally swallowed the last piece and turned around, letting himself fall back first on the bed and setting his palm on his distended stomach as he burped, "I'm stuffed." It had been a while that he felt carefree like this, and the cake definitely gave him a false sense of serenity. After a few seconds of silence, Nate realized Dante hadn't followed up on his response. It made him a bit skeptical as he furrowed his brows and asked bluntly, "Why were you gone for so long?"

Dante sighed, biting his bottom lip hesitantly. "Are you sure you want to know?"

Instantly, Nate felt his body run cold for a moment, as if an electric shock ran through his body. He sat upwards and eyed Dante for a second, before exhaling a scoff. "You're not serious." The curled eyebrows of Dante solidified his thoughts and he pushed himself to his feet. "Holy Dante, at this point, you're just a fucking liar."

"I know, I'm sorry."

Nate felt the anger burning within him all over again. He had lost focus for a second before of Dante's grandiose gesture, but the truth was right in front of his face. He had been with Eleanor prior to this moment, and that was enough for Nate to finally wipe his hands clean from all of this. The trust he shared continued to be tested, even in this moment when Dante was the one that offered to be friends and do this the right way, when all he really was an excuse to openly be with Eleanor.