Chapter 101 - "Come inside."

Raphael was paralyzed at the door, his eyes widened in shock when he met the gaze of all three of men he didn't anticipate crossing path. First, his gaze settled on the narrowed blue ones of Nate who didn't seem remotely pleased by his presence. Then, the dark chocolate ones of Jules who was supposedly dead, and finally, the familiar grey ones that had the ability to hold him in a chokehold by meeting his gaze.

His heart had stopped, his mind was blank, and all he could do was stare. Even they were confused and shocked, observing the new Raphael with his golden hair wrapped in a bun, wearing baggy cotton sweatpants and a hoodie. This was totally unexpected on both ends, and the first to react was Dante.

"Ralphy—?" Instantly, the door was slammed shut and Raphael held it closed from the outside. He couldn't breathe, and he didn't want Dante to follow him, hence his best solution was to escape and preventing them from leaving as well. However, even as he stood by the door, his hand on the doorknob, his legs weren't listening to him. His mind was attempting to push them forward, leaving as quick as he could, but his heart wasn't allowed him to do so.

Instead, his heart wanted to take another look at Dante.

He heard the doorknob jerk, but kept his fingers firmly on there. That was when he heard a sigh on the other side of the door, which made him inhale a sharp breath. "Raphael," Dante said, clearing his throat. He didn't want to mess this up; this may be the last opportunity to see Raphael and if it was, he didn't want to pass up on that. "Come inside, please."

Raphael felt his fingers begin to quiver, which made it harder to grip the doorknob with his moistened palms. He had to play this strong character that didn't care about them, but they meant way too much to him to be cold. Nonetheless, he had further priorities to handle at the moment, and he cleared his throat, doing all he could to subside the sentiments roaming around his heart.

His tone was stiff and cold as he said in a monotone voice, "Is Lucius in there?"

Dante paused, trying to twist the doorknob again but unable to get the door open. He glanced through the peephole and found Raphael leaned over, one hand on the doorknob with the other hand over his mouth; he saw his fingers trembling alarmingly. That was when he pleaded again, "Come inside."

"Is Lucius in there, yes or no?" His tone was much more stern this time, and Dante realized he wouldn't budge.

As much as he wanted to plead to Raphael and express all the apologies in his heart, he didn't want to do it across a door. He wanted to look him in the eyes and sincerely confess the guilt he has been feeling ever since Raphael's kidnapping; this wasn't the right moment. Hence, he exhaled a shaky breath, cleared his throat and confirmed, "No, he's not."

There was a long pause, and Dante glanced through the peephole again. Raphael was still in the same position, but Dante was certain that he had seen him wipe his cheek rapidly. He inhaled a sharp breath when Raphael replied sternly, "That's all I came for."

Even though it sounded somewhat of a goodbye, Dante didn't hear Raphael move. He took another chance and whispered, "Can we talk—"

"No," he spat, and Dante saw him straighten his spine. Raphael also glanced at the peephole from his end, and Dante sighed when Raphael plugged it with a finger. However, he had been too late, since Dante had already seen the leaking tears across his cheek. "I'm leaving, and don't follow me." Dante didn't know what to answer. The minute Raphael released the doorknob, he wanted to pull it open and rush after him, but if it would only make things worst... "Did you hear me? I said, don't follow me."

"Okay," Dante agreed reluctantly, leaning his forehead against the door. Here he was in the same position as last time; a barrier keeping him from reaching for Raphael and pulling him into his grasp. Last time, it was Lucius hiding him, and this time, it was this door. It seemed as if the universe kept them separated and Dante didn't know how much longer he could withstand this. It felt even worst knowing that Raphael was right there. However, he had hurt him enough, and he didn't want to hurt him even more by not listening to his request. That was why Dante shook his head and said, "I won't follow you. But please," he heard shuffling on the other side, and then felt more pressure against the door—Raphael had squeezed his ear against it to hear everything. "Stay safe for me, okay? I'll get you back, I don't care how long it takes, but I'll get you back. So you need to stay safe until then."

There was nothing but silence. Until, Dante heard a very quiet, "...hic!..." Nothing again, but he felt the resistance in the doorknob release. Now, in a further distance, he heard another, "...hic!...hic!..." The footsteps drew further away, and Dante eyed the peephole; he could now see but there was no one in the hallway.

Raphael had left.

Dante turned away from the door, seeing the eyes of Jake and Nate staring back at him. His mind was filled with a confusing series of emotions that he couldn't even move, paralyzed against the door. It took all the strength in him not to rush out of the door and try to find Raphael, but he didn't want to ruin any apology that he planned in the future, another reason to make Raphael angry and hate him even more.

Dante couldn't help but turn around and glance through the peephole again. As he predicted, there was no sight of any movement outside. He lowered his head, eyeing his trembling fingers that pulled away from the doorknob. The only thing that could calm him slightly was the belief that they would cross paths again, and he would then be able to apologize to him, for everything.

However, Dante was suddenly shoved backwards as he felt the door slam into him, someone barging inside. One second, Dante was seconds from falling backwards, and the next, Raphael had his arms around his neck, squeezing him into such a tight endearing embrace, causing Dante's heart to skip a beat.

"I missed you so much, Dante."