Chapter 50 - It's Friday

"I'm not meddling with him anymore, Tessa. I've told you that countless times."

"Aren't you worried?" Tyler bit her bottom lip, glancing backwards towards the school before leaning against the tree trunk. The last conversation she had with Nate was the one they argued at the end of the school day, but that didn't mean she hated him; friends quarrelled all the time. "He hasn't shown up this entire week. It's Friday."

"I am aware that it's Friday," Dante snorted, glancing towards Raphael who sent him a confused look, pulling the cigarette from his lips before blowing the clouds out of the window. He pointed to his cell phone and rolled his eyes, to which Raphael understood that it was a pointless conversation with his nagging sister.

Tyler placed her palm on her hip; there was something that simply felt off with this entire situation. It was no coincidence that Nate, Eric and Jules all three didn't show up to school on the same days. Jules always missed school when he had a mission from his boss, and as a new student, it was very unlikely Eric would skip as well for that many days.

That was why she called Dante for help, but he was still set on completely avoiding Nate as much as he could. "Dante, all I'm asking you to do is look into it."

"I'm not looking into anything," he laughed, waving his hand dismissively. "Whatever happens to Nate is none of my business. Besides, didn't he threaten to punch you in the face?"

"I still care about him."

Dante shrugged his shoulders. "Well I'm trying not to, so leave me out of this."

Tyler exhaled a long sigh; she had no idea what she should do. She wanted to head to his apartment but if he was there, it would be totally awkward as to why she showed up all of sudden. She even thought of calling the police and having them to a wellness check to his residence, but that would be even worst when they tell him her name. She didn't even realize that she had been biting the side of her thumb to the point that it had started bleeding.

When Dante heard her sigh, he rolled his eyes and groaned. He hated hearing his sister in such desperation, as if he had been the last hope to her problem. But he really didn't want to lose himself with Nate again; he had definitely started falling for him which had made him vulnerable, which was what he wanted to prevent. As Tyler had said, Nate was not from their world, he would never be able to understand or live in their lifestyle.

Even so, with this much pleading from his sister, when she whispered a short and breathless, "Please?", he could not longer resist.

He grumbled a curse under his breath. "Fine," he hissed reluctantly, narrowing his eyes in Raphael's direction. "I'll come pick you up and we can visit his apartment together."

She sighed in relief, closing her eyes. This was all that had been overwhelming her mind for the last few days, but she finally felt as if she would soon get answers. Dante was livid when he disconnected the call, shaking his head as he mumbled, "Make a U-turn. We have to go get Tyler."

"Is she still going on about Nate missing?" When Dante nodded his head, Raphael snickered. "And you're going over there?" There was no response to that, to which Raphael added, "So you don't wanna get over him."

"What if something bad happened?" Dante spat back, waving his hand. "He was hanging around me for a little bit, he could've been killed."

"That's not your business anymore though." Raphael snapped back, narrowing his eyes as he swerved the car into a turn. "Even if he's killed, that's the way of life. Everyone gets killed around you."

"You know that he's fucking different, Ralphy." When Raphael simply scoffed and turned his head, Dante yelled, "What the fuck do you expect?!"

"I didn't expect anything," Raphael furrowed his brows. "I'm only telling you this because you asked me to stop you from seeing him."

"Well, things have changed."

He snorted. "Clearly."

"I still like him and I don't want to find out he died because of me." There was a few seconds of an intense silence, Dante leaning back in his seat and fixing his tie when he spat, "You don't have to come with me."

"I'm obligated to come with you."

"Right or else you won't get paid," Dante mocked.

It made his blood boil whenever Dante made remarks such as that one. It was true that he was first hired as Dante's right-hand man to assure that he didn't betray them, didn't do anything against their team. However, now they had grown as friends, basically family and still Dante continuously disrespected him with that line constantly.

Which was why he shrugged his shoulders and drifted to the side of the road, seeing the confused look of Dante when the car stopped. He then turned off the motor and smiled at Dante. "I quit."

He then pushed open his door and jumped down, landing on the rocks on the side of the road and slamming the door shut. With his cigarette hanging on the corner of his lip, he shoved his hand in the front pockets of his dress-pants and began to walk.

Dante stepped out of the truck as well. "Raphael, what the fuck are you doing?"

"I quit," he glanced over his shoulder with a smile, blowing the air from his cigarette, "you're on your own."

"You're being childish."

"Oh, am I?" Raphael chuckled, turning around and walking backwards, widening his hands. "Then I'll be childish; you figure that problem out on your own."

Even though Dante didn't want to leave, his pride was way too high to kneel down and beg for Raphael to return. Hence, he shrugged his shoulders, cursing at Raphael under his breath, flipped him off as he climbed into the driver's seat and headed for the school all by himself.