Chapter 4 - "I came."

A silence enveloped the room, too heavy for Nate to even hear Dante's panting. His eyes had been stuck on those slanted grey ones that seemed to have brightened excitedly. His palm still offered Nate the knife and the end of the chain attached to the collar squeezing his neck. Nate flinched when Dante moved, only to realize that Dante reached the hair tie from his bun and pulled it, letting his hair fall, brushing along his shoulders. Even Nate couldn't help but observe him, mesmerized by how he tilted his head backwards and shifted his head from left to right to freshen up his messy hair.

Nate flinched again when Dante met his gaze once more. However, he noticed the way Dante's eyebrows curled, his eyes glimmering as if he was on the brim of tears. He bit his bottom lip, lowering his arms to his sides and glancing towards his palms before asking, "What is it? Y-You...you don't like what you see?"

Nate had not spoken yet, gulping when he saw Dante's fingers drop the knife beside him and reach for the next button on his dress shirt. When Nate realized what he was doing, he instinctively leaned downwards, his mind completely pushing away the assassin murderous rumours and all the threats Dante had mentioned, instead reaching for his hands and stopping him from continuing down the placket.

"What the fuck are you doing?" Nate pushed his hands away, closing the other buttons as well and hiding the chain back into his shirt.

"No, no," Dante's eyes began to shift back to how they were earlier, somber and ruthless. His entire face seemed to sharpen as if had, the pink in his cheeks also vanishing the longer he stared at Nate fixing his shirt. "Be how you were before," he shoved Nate's hand away, grabbing the knife again and extending it towards his palm. "Take the knife," his voice had darkened, no longer soft as it was a few seconds earlier, "act as if you're going to stab me."

"No," Nate rapidly shook his head, pushing himself to his feet with a frown. "Why do you want me to—"

"Alright, you're of no use to me. I thought maybe you'd be able to..." He paused for a moment, rising to his feet and patting down his dress pants before lifting his eyes to meet Nate's bemused ones. "Never mind." He straightened his shirt, pushing it back inside his dress pants before stretching his shoulders. "I'm heading out," he yawned, waving his hand dismissively, "Raphael will be back to finish the job."

Nate felt his lips begin to quiver again. "What do you mean finish the job?"

"The obvious—to kill you." When he saw Nate's gaze widen, he added, "Both of you." His gaze scrutinized Nate's features, squeezing his lips together as he eyed him from his feet all the way to his ginger curls, but then sighed and shrugged his shoulders. "It's unfortunate, you would have been really useful. You're kind of cute too."

As he began walking away, Nate felt as if ever single of his steps were signing his death warrant. Time had slowed down exponentially, feeling as if every single second felt like an hour as his mind raced with thoughts of what Dante had wanted and how he could have been useful. He had no idea why he had to tease him or act as if he was going to stab him, and the worse was that Dante had began undressing himself. It was only then that Nate finally connected the dots, gasping when he realized what Dante had been begging to receive.

"You're..." he gulped, his eyes widening as he saw Dante's firm fingers reached onto his black hair and twirl his strands into a bun. "You're submissive."

Dante's footsteps halted, Nate hearing a long exhale from him. "Now that," he glanced over his shoulder with a smirk, "I am." He returned his gaze to the front door and shrugged his shoulders, lifting his hands as well, "I thought you'd be able to satisfy me after you screamed at me today and I adored when you threatened to kill me." He began walking forward again, "But you're useless to me. And you have to pay your debt for threatening to take my life, so—"