Chapter 27 - I Missed You

"Drink."

Nate stared at the water bottle, exhaling a short long sigh, one ringing with defeat. This was not the way he wanted to have reacted; he had left his rage behind, had been through an awful phase in his life where he resided in anger, that almost left him dead. He had changed from these days, differed in character but now, he was unable to see any difference between him and his past self.

"I said drink and I won't say it again."

Nate finally reached for the bottle, turning the cap and taking a few sips, seeing a satisfied look from Dante.

Nate eyed Dante for a moment, studying his tinted pink face and droopy eyes before asking, "You want some water? You're the one that should be drinking this since you're drunk." He shoved the bottle towards Dante who snorted. He didn't think he would accept it, but Dante did grab the bottle and take a few sips as well before dropping it back in front of Nate.

Nate still felt off, his anger not having entirely subsided as he thought of Andrew's face and how his knuckles had been terribly close to slamming into it. He hadn't fought in a very long time, but at that moment, he relished that feeling again, pounding his fist into someone's face until they begged for mercy. And he hated that about himself. The worse part was that a murderer had to be the one to stop him, which made him feel embarrassed of the person he had become, one without any self-control.

His thoughts diverted when he observed Dante walk away from him, walking towards the living room and leaning towards the window that faced the parking lot. "That son of a bitch is still there."

"Andrew?" Nate questioned.

Dante shook his head. "No, stupid Raphael." He stood there, eyeing the truck that had been parked for the last twenty minutes, as if he had nothing better to do than sit there and make sure Dante didn't run from this place.

Nate sighed, finishing the water bottle and throwing it in the garbage. He paused for a moment, leaning his forehead against the table, feeling exhausted. It seemed to have taken a toll out of him, his little confrontation with Andrew, and all he wanted to do now was fall into his bed and sleep for hours until he forgot this even happened.

But at the same time, he didn't want Dante to leave. He did want to have a chat with him, since to be honest, he wasn't sure when would be the next time he would have the chance to explain his side. He noticed Dante's ear perk when he cleared his throat. "Listen, Dante—"

"Finally," Dante interrupted him, seeing the truck finally drift away from the parking lot and drive down the road, making a turn and disappearing down the neighbourhood. "He's gone. I'm leaving."

Dante started heading for the door, his footsteps echoing across the apartment. He didn't say anything to Nate, walked right past the kitchen without even glancing in his direction, and eventually he twisted the doorknob to leave. However, Nate needed to share his piece; after what had occurred with Andrew, the adrenaline was still present to boost his courage to call Dante's name, making him stop.

He needed to say something that would make him stay, and he bit his bottom lip. The only way Dante would stay is if he challenged him, which was why he stood to his feet and made his way to him, standing a few feet away from him. "You said you'd kill me, didn't you?" Even though he felt a sweat droplet form on the corner of his forehead, he squeezed his fists tightly and forced himself to maintain his stance.

Dante eyed him, his droopy eyes only evoking boredom as he scoffed and rolled his eyes. "You're stupid. Raphael was playing with you." When Nate inhaled a sharp breath, Dante added, "He would've never left me here if he thought I'd truly kill you."