It was a good lie -W.M

Angst.

Narrator's POV.

Emma woke up strapped to a chair. The last thing she remembered was laying in her bed late at night. And now this.

How did that happen?

We have to go back a little. 

Truth is, Emma is one of the 'boring' humans some would refer to. Nothing extravagant in her life. 

She knows she has a boring life, a lonely one even. But she can't for the life of her change it. She tried for so many years, but couldn't succeed. 

It started from her childhood. Her parents were never home, never spent time with her in the few moments they happen to be there. She didn't have a babysitter, at least not after she grew up. 

She was always told what to do, and more specifically, what not to do. 

At school, she never made any connection with anyone. She felt like an intruder, an outsider. She wasn't bullied per se but was ignored and forgotten. Kids only talked with her about homework or other school-related stuff. 

Same in high school. And she couldn't understand why. She tried to make friends, but they just couldn't see her as the 'friend type'. Plus, some of them already had friends and didn't want her in their groups. 

By that time, she rarely saw her parents anymore. The only reason she knew they were still alive was from the money she got in her account, and how the bills in her house were paid. 

Funny thing actually. She tried to call one of them someday and a younger voice responded. So she figured that they rebuild their lives in another place, leaving her there. 

When she was 18, she inherited the house and the bank account that she was using all the time, finally was hers, officially. The bills also stopped being paid so she figured they only wanted to take care of her since she was a minor. Now that she is an adult, she can figure things out. 

So at 18, with huge exams in her way, university application, and all the stress in between, she now had to look for an apartment and sell the house. Thanks to the bank account she had, she could afford the rent for a few months until she sells the house and maybe could buy a small one-bedroom apartment. 

At least that was the plan anyway.

She figured she could do her uni classes online and work meantime because she didn't want to interact with even more people and just be ignored and alone in the end. 

Her love life was terrible, that was expected. She only had a fling once, but the girl told her after that she thinks she is just straight but is grateful for the 'experience'. That sucked since Emma really liked her. 

In the end, it wasn't hard to accommodate back into her lonely life. She was used to it.

It sucked though. It sucked so much since she had so much love in her to give. But no one to receive it. 

And that is how adult Emma is living her life. Goes to work, then comes back to her apartment, watches something on tv, orders take-out, and passes out on the couch eventually. The next day is the same. 

She has some nice colleagues at work, but that is just that. They are colleagues, nothing more. They do small talk at the start of the day, then do their work and leave. 

As someone once said, it is what it is. This is her life, she can't do anything about it. She accepted it a long time ago. 

Right now she works at a supermarket since that is kind of her only way of human interaction. Even if it lasts a few seconds, it makes her feel a little less lonely. But just a little.