After Drive-in

Jasmine's POV

After the movie it suddenly came to us that Cherry and Marcia didn't have a way to get home. Two-Bit gallantly offered to walk them home_the west side of town was only about twenty miles away_but they wanted to call their parents and have them come and get them. Two-Bit finally talked them into letting us drive them in his car.

Pony's POV

I thought that maybe it was money that departed us. "No", Cherry said slowly when I said that. "It's not just money. Part of it is,but not all. You greasers have a different set of values. You're more emotional. We're sophisticated_cool to the point of not feeling anything. Nothing is real to us. You know, sometimes I'll catch myself talking to a girl-friend,and realize I don't mean half of what am saying. I don't really think a beer blast on the river bottom is super-cool,but I'll talk about one to a girl-friend just to be saying something." Cherry said. "I never told anyone that. I think you're the first person I've ever really gotten through to. We're always going and going and going,and never asking where. Did you ever hear of having more than you wanted? So that you couldn't want anything else and then started looking for something you want? It seems like we're always searching for something to satisfy us,and never finding it. Maybe if we could lose our cool we could" said Cherry. That was the truth. Socs were always behind a wall of aloofness,careful not to let real selves show through. I have seen a social-club rumble once. The Socs even fought coldly and practically and impersonally. "That's why we're separated. It's not money,it's feeling_you don't feel anything and we feel too violently. And that's probably why we take turns getting our names in the paper" I said. "You read a lot, don't you Ponyboy?" Cherry asked. I was started. "Yeah why?" I asked. She kinda shrugged. "I could just tell. I'll bet you watch sunsets,too" she said. She was quite for a minute after I nodded. "I used to watch them,too,before I got so busy...." said Cherry. I pictured that,or tried to. Maybe Cherry stood still and watch the sun set while she was supposed to be taking out the garage. Stood there and watched and forgot everything else until her big brother screamed at her to hurry up. I shook my head. It seemed funny to me that the sunset she saw from her patio and the one I saw from the back steps was the same one. Maybe the two different worlds we lived in weren't so different. We saw the same sunset. Marcia suddenly gasped. "Cherry,look what's coming" said Marcia. We all looked and saw a blue Mustang coming down the street. Johnny made a small noise in his throat and when I looked at him he was white. Marcia was shifting nervously. "What are we going to do?" Marcia asked. "Stand here. There isn't much else we can do" said Cherry. I looked over at Jasmine and she had a confused look on her face. She has been so quiet that I didn't really realize she was there till just now. "Who is it? The F.B.I" Two-Bit asked. "No,Randy and Bob" said Cherry. "And a few other of the socially elite checkered-shirt set" said Two-Bit. "Your boyfriend's?" Johnny asked with a steady voice. I was standing close and could see he was trembling. I wondered why_Johnny was a nervous wreck,but he was never that jumpy. Cherry started walking down the street. "Maybe they won't see us. Act normal" said Cherry. "Who's acting? I'm a natural normal" said Two-Bit. "Wish it was the other way around" I muttered. "Don't get mouthy,Ponyboy" said Two-Bit. The Mustang passed us slowly and went right on by. Marcia sighed in relief. "That was a close one" said Marcia. Cherry turned to me. "Tell me about your oldest brother. You don't talk much about him" said Cherry. I tried to think of something to say about Darry,and shrugged. "What's to talk about? He's big and handsome and liked football and he roofs house" I said. "I mean,what's he like? I feel like I know Soda from the way you talk about him; tell me about Darry" said Cherry. And when I was silent she urged me on. "Is he wild and reckless like Soda? Dreamily,like you? Cherry asked. My face got hot as I bit my lip. "He's not like Sodapop at all and he sure ain't like me. He's hard as a rock and about as human. He's got eyes exactly like frozen ice. He thinks am a pain in the neck. He likes Soda_everybody likes Soda_but he can't stand me. I bet he wished he could stick me in a home somewhere,and he'd do it,too,if Soda'd let him" I said. "What you talking about Ponyboy?" Two-Bit asked. "I thought you and Darry and Soda get along just fine" said Johnny. "Well,we don't. And you can shut your trap,Johnny Cade,cause we all know you ain't wanted home either. And you can't blame them" I snapped. Johnny's eyes went round and he winced as though I'd belted him. Two-Bit slapped me hard on the side of my head. "Shut your mouth,kid. If you wasn't Soda's kid brother I'd beat the tar out of you. You know better than to talk to Johnny like that" said Two-Bit. "I'm sorry. I was just mad" I said. "It's ok" said Johnny. Then the blue Mustang was coming down the street again,more slowly. "Well,they've spotted us" said Cherry. The Mustang came to a halt besides us,and the two boys in the front seat got out. They were so drunk alright. One had on a white shirt and a madras ski jacket,and the other a light-yellow shirt and a wine-colored swather.

Jasmine's POV

Oh I think I know what's going to happen next. I was just silent the whole time we were walking. I was just thinking about what was going to happen next. Then when I saw the blue Mustang I knew what was going to happen. That's why I had a confused look on my face at first. And now the Mustang parked right next to us.
To be continued....

Hey guys! I hoped you liked this chapter! I thought it'd be a good idea to make a part 2 to this chapter. I hope this chapter wasn't too long. Stay Gold