Windrixville Part 3

Johnny's POV

I really like that poem. "Nothing gold can stay". Am glad Pony introduced it to me. Guess Jasmine knew it too. Am about tried of this place. I can't wait when Dally finds us.

Jasmine's POV

"You know,I never noticed colors and clouds and stuff until you kept reminding me about them. It seems like they were never there before" said Johnny. He thought for a minute. "Your family sure is funny" said Johnny. "And what happens to be so funny about it?" Pony asked stuffy. Johnny looked at Pony quicky. "I didn't mean nothing. I meant,well,Soda kinda looks like your mother did,but he acts just exactly like your father. And Darry is the spiting image of your father,but ain't wild and laughing all the time he was. He acts like your mother. And you don't act like either of them" said Johnny. "I know. Well,you ain't like any of the gang. I mean,I couldn't tell Two-Bit or Steve or even Darry about the sunrise and clouds and stuff. I couldn't even remember that poem around the. I mean,they just don't dig. Just you and Sodapop. And maybe Cherry Valance" Pony said. "Yeah,I guess we're different" said Johnny. "Shoot,maybe they are" said Pony blowing a perfect smoke ring. By the fifth day I was so tried of baloney I nearly got sick every time I looked at it. We had eaten all our candy bars in the first two days. I was dying for a Pepsi. Johnny promised to get some if we ran out of supplies and had to get more,but that didn't help right now. "Uh Pony,I don't think you should have anymore cigarettes before Dally gets here or you will get sick" I said. "Why do you care?" Pony asked. "I don't want you to get sick,that's why. You actually we'll get sick if you have too much. I don't like getting sick and especially don't like cigarettes. They can do stuff to your lungs and stuff" I said. "Okay,okay,I will stop using them" said Pony. I didn't know if that was true or not. So I hid them just in case. And he actually dose get sick in the book and movie. On the fifth day Pony had read up to Sherman's siege of Atlanta in Gone with the Wind,and Pony owed Johnny a hundred and fifty bucks from a poker game. Pony cured up in a corner to sleep. I was just about asleep when I heard,as if from a great distance,a low long whistle that went off in a sudden high note. I was too sleepy to pay any attention,although Johnny didn't have any reason to be whistling like that. Johnny was sitting on the back steps trying to read Gone with the Wind. I had almost decided that I had dreamed the outside world and there was nothing real but baloney sandwiches and the Civil War and the old church and the mist in the valley. It seemed to me that I had always lived in the church,or maybe lived during the Civil War and had somehow got transplanted. That shows you what a wild imagination I have.

Pony's POV

A toe nudged me in the ribs. "Glory,he looks different with his hair like that" said a rough but familiar voice. I rolled over and sat up, rubbing the sleep out of my eyes and yawning. Suddenly I blinked. "Hey,Dally!" I said. "Hey,Ponyboy!" He grinned down at me. "Or should I say Sleeping Beauty?" Dally said. I never thought I'd live to see the day when I would be so glad to see Dally Winston,but right then he meant one thing: contact with the outside world. And it suddenly became real and vital. "Hey Jasmine,wow different hairstyle too I see" said Dally. "Hey Dal,nice to see you too" said Jasmine. "How's Sodapop? Are the fuzz after us? Is Darry all right? Do the boys know where we are? What...."Hold on kid,I can't answer everything at once. You guys want to get something to eat first? I skipped breakfast and I'm about starved" said Dallas interrupting me. "You're starved?" Johnny said. I remembered all the baloney we ate. "Is it safe to go out?" I asked. "Yep". Dally searched his shirt pocket for a cigarette,and finding none,said,"Gotta cancer stick,Johnnycake?". Johnny tossed him a whole pack. "The fuzz won't be looking for you around here. They think you've lit out for Texas. I've got Buck's T-bird parked down the road a little way. Gosh almighty,guys, ain't been eating anything" Dally said. Johnny looked startled. "Yeah. Whatever gave you the idea we ain't"? Johnny asked. Dally shook his head. "You guys are pale and you've lost weight. After this,get out in the sun more. You look like you've been through the mill". Said Dally. I started to say "Look who's talking" but decided it would be saver not to. Dally needed a shave_a stubble of colorless beard covered his jaw_and he looked like he was the one who'd been sleeping in his clothes for a week instead of us;I knew he hadn't seen a Barbara in months. But it was saver not to get mouthy with Dally Winston. "Hey,Ponyboy"_he fumbled with a piece of paper in his back pocket_"I gotta letter for you" said Dally. "A letter? Who from? I asked. "The President,of course,stupid. It's from Soda" said Dally. "Sodapop,but how did he know"? I asked. "He came over to Buck's a couple says ago for something and found that sweat shirt. I told him I didn't know where you were,but he didn't believe me. He gave me this letter and half his pay check to give you. Kid,you ought to see Darry. He's taking this mighty hard...." Said Dally. "I wasn't listening. I leaned against the side of the church and read:Ponyboy,Well,I guess you got into some trouble,huh? Darry and me nearly went nuts when you ran out like that. Darry is awful sorry he hit you. You know he didn't mean it. And then you and Johnny turned up missing and what with that dead kid in the park and Dally getting hauled into the station,well it scared us something awful. The police came by to question us and we told them us much as we could. I can't believe little old Johnny killed somebody. I know Dally knows where you are,but you know him. He keeps his trap shut and won't tell nothing. Darry hasn't got the slightest notion where you're at and it's nearly killing him. I wish you'd come back and turn your selfs in but I guess you can't since Johnny might get hurt. You sure are famous. You got a paragraph in the newspaper even. Take care and say hi to Johnny for us. Sodapop Curtis. He could improve his spelling,I thought after reading it through three or four times.

Hey guys! I hope you liked this chapter. Sorry if it was a little too long. This would be the last part for this chapter. For the next chapter it's not going to be a part for this one. I don't even know if it's going to be a part of not. Anyways,have a good day. Stay Gold