The Rumble Part 2

Pony's POV

"I am a greaser. I am a JD and a hood. I blacken the name of our fair city. I beat up people. I rob gas stations. I am a menace to society. Man,do I have fun!" Soda changed. "Greaser....greaser....greaser. O victim of environment, underprivileged,rotten,no count hood" Steve singsonged. "Juvenile delinquent,you're no good!" Darry shouted. "Get thee hence,white trash. I am a Soc. I am privileged and the well dressed. I throw beer blasts,drive fancy cars,break windows at fancy parties" said Two-Bit. "And what do you do for fun?" I inquired in a serious awed voice. "I jump greasers!" Two-Bit screamed,and did a cartwheel. We settled down as we walked to the lot. Two-Bit was the only one wearing a jacket;he had a couple of cans of beer stuffed in it. He always gets high before a rumble. "Hey,Two-Bit,how come you like to fight?" I asked. He looked at me as if I was off my nut. "Shoot,everybody fights" said Two-Bit. If everybody jumped in the Arkansas River,old Two-Bit would be right on their heels. I had it then. Soda fought for fun,Steve for hatred,Darry for bride,and Two-Bit for conformity. Why do I fight? I thought,I couldn't think of any real good reason. There isn't any real good reason for fighting except self-defense. Johnny only does it for self-defense to. "Listen,Soda,you and Ponyboy,if the fuzz show,you two beat it out of there. There rest of us can only get jailed. You two can get sent to a boy's home" said Darry. "Nobody in the neighborhood's going to call the Fuzz. They know what'd happen if they did" Steve said grimly. "All the same,you two blow at the first sign of trouble. You hear me?" Darry said. "You sure don't need an amplifier",Soda said,and stuck out his tongue at the back of Darry's head. I stifled a giggle. Tim Shepard and company were already waiting when we arrived at the vacant lot,along with a gang from Brumly,one of the suburbs. Tim was a lean,catlike eighteen-year-old who looked like the model JD you see in movies and magazines. He had the right curly black hair,smoldering dark eyes,and a long scar from temple to chin where a tramp had belted him with a broken pop bottle. He had a tough,hard look to him,and his nose had been broken twice. Like Dally's,his smile was grim and bitter. He was one of those who enjoy being a hood. The rest of his bunch were the same. The boys from Brumly,too. Tim had the tense,hungry look of an Ally cat_that's what he's always reminded me of,an Ally cat_and he was constantly restless. His boys ranged from fifteen to nineteen,hard looking characters who were used to the strict discipline Tim gave out. Tim and the leader of the Brumly outfit moved forward to shake hands with each other_proving that our gangs were on the same side in this fight,although most of the guys in those two outfits weren't exactly what I'd like to call my friends. When Tim got to me he studied me,maybe remembering how his kid brother and I had played chicken. "You,that and the black-headed kid and that girl were the ones who killed that Soc?" Tim asked. "Yeah" I said. "Good going kid. Curly always said you were a good kid. Curly's in the reformatory for the next six months. He got caught breaking into a liquor store,the little...." He went on to call Curly every unprintable name under the sun_in Tim's way of thinking,terms of affection. I surveyed the scene with pride. I was the youngest one there.  One of the Brumly guys waved me over. We mostly stuck with our own outfits,so I was a little leery of going over to him,but I strugged.  He asked to borrow a weed,then lit up. "That big guy with y'all you know him pretty well?" He asked. "I ought to,he's my brother," I said. "No kidding? I got a feeling he's gonna be asked to start the fireworks around here. He a pretty good bopper?" He asked. He meant dumber. Those Brumly Boyd have weird vocabularies. "Yep. But why him? I asked. He shrugged. "Why anybody else?" He asked. I looked our outfit over. Most greasers don't have real tuff builds or anything. They're mostly lean and kind of panther-looking in a slouchy way. This is partly because they don't eat much and partly because they're slouchy. Darry looked like he could whip anyone there.  "Hey,Curtis!" Tim yelled. I jumped. "Which one?" I heard Soda yell back. "The big one. Come on over here" said Tim. The gut from Brumly looked at me. "What did I tell ya?" He said. I watched Darry going toward Tim and the leader of the Brumly Boys. I went back to stand with Soda and Steve and Two-Bit and Johnny then,because the Socs were arriving. Right on time. They came in four carloads,and filed out silently. I counted twenty-two of them. There was twenty-one of us,so I figured the odds were as even as we could get them. They looked like they were all cut from the same piece of cloth:clean shaven with semi-Beatle haircuts,wearing striped or checkered shirts with light-red or tan-colored jackets or madras ski jackets. They could just as easily have been going to the movies as to a rumble. That's why people don't even blame the Socs and are always ready to jump on us. We looked hoody and they look decent. They lined up silently,facing us,and we lined up facing them. I looked for Randy but didn't see him. I hoped he wasn't there. A guy with a madras shirt stepped up. "Let's get the rules stray_nothinh but our fists,and the first to run lose. Right?" He asked. Tim flipped away his beer can. "You savvy re good" said Tim. There was an uneasy silence:Who was going to start it? Darry solved the problem. He stepped forward under the circle of light made by the street lamp. "I'll take on anyone" said Darry. For a second it looked like there wasn't anyone brave enough to take him on. Then there was a slight stir in the faceless mob of Socs,and a husky blond gut stepped forward. He looked at Darry and said quietly,"Hello,Darrel". Something flickered behind Darry's eyes and then they were ice again. "Hello,Paul" said Darry. I hated Soda give a kind of squeak and I realized that the blond was Paul Holden. He had been the best halfback on Darry's football team at high school and he and Darry used to buddy it around all the time. Then Paul said,"I'll take you",and something like a smile crossed Darry's fave. They moved in a circle under the light,counterclock wise,eyeing each other,sizing each other up,maybe remembering old faults and wondering if they were still there. The moment either one swung a punch,the rumble would be on. The silence grew heavier,and I could hear the harsh heavy breathing around me. Still Darry and the Soc walked slowly in a  circle. "Hold it! There ain't a rue without me!" a familiar voice yelled. Darry turned to see who it was,and Paul swung_a hard right to the jaw that would have felled anyone but Darry. The rumble was on. Dallas Winston ran to join us. I couldn't find a Soc my size,so I took the next-best size and jumped on him. Dallas was right beside me,already on top of someone. "I thought you were in the hospital",I yelled as the Soc knocked me to the ground and I rolled to avoid getting kicked. "I was. I was able to get away without getting seen" said Dallas. The Soc I was fighting leaped on me and we rolled near Dally. I couldn't answer because the Soc,who was heavier than I took him for,had me pinned and was slugging the sense out of me.

Jasmine's POV

Dallas told me to stay here but I have to go to this rumble. I can't let Pony get a concussion. He well miss track practice. I think he should go. I ran off to Pony and hot that Soc off of him. Darry seemed to notice and winked at me. I helped Pony up. "Didn't I tell you not to interfere. It is not safe for a pretty girl like you too be here" said Dallas. "I don't care" I said. I then helped by fighting other Socs who went after me. I noticed that the Socs going after me weren't going as rough as they were with the guys. One of them pinned me down and tried to kiss me but I pushed him away. The next thing I knew those Socs were running away. Which means we won!! Yes! And Pony didn't get a concussion. If only he knew. Tim Shepard was swearing blue and green because his nose was broken,and the leader of the Brumly Boyd was working over one of his own men because he had broken the rules and used a piece of pipe in the fighting. A few minutes later we went back to the Curtis house. Everyone looked beat up pretty bad except me because those Socs weren't being so rough on me. I helped the boys get healed. Ok now Johnny didn't die so now Dally isn't!  I got passed the part of the book. Now I just got to hope they don't. And that means no one. This was a better day or sure.

Hey guys! I hope you liked this chapter!! I am so sorry if this chapter is to long. I just wanted to get passed the rumble part. I know I don't usually update on this book on a Monday but I brought the book with me yesterday so I could do chapters so I could get passed the book part. You guys might be surprised about what is going to happen after am done using the book. Anyways,have a good day. Stay Gold