The Hit

Jasmine's POV

I can't believe that those Socs found us. A lot of stuff has happened today. Pony's asleep. I feel like he should be awake. I feel like he should have already went home. I guess it doesn't matter what I think though. The next thing I know,Johnny is trying to wake Pony up.

Pony's POV

"Pony,hey Pony,wake up" said Johnny. I could feel Johnny shaking me. I sat up,shivering. The stars had move. "Glory,what time is it?" I asked. "I don't know. I went to sleep,too,listening to you rattle on and on. You'd better get home. I think I'll stay all night here" said Johnny. Johnny's parents didn't care if he came home or not. "Okay. If you get cold or something come on over to our house" I said. "Okay" said Johnny. "Jasmine,you want to come with me?" I asked. "Sure" said Jasmine. "Okay,cool" I said. Me and Jasmine ran to my house at the trembling thought of me facing Darry.

Johnny's POV

I hope Pony makes it home okay. I hope that Jasmine well be safe too. I don't know what I would do. If Pony's late I hope he isn't too late. I don't want Pony getting into too much trouble. Darry might yell at him or something but I don't want him too. Maybe I should have gone with Pony. Maybe if I went with them,Pony would be fine. Maybe am exaggerating a little bit. I guess am going to go back to sleep now.

Pony's POV

The porch light was on. Maybe they were asleep and I could sneak in I thought. I peeked in the window. Sodapop was stretched out on sofa,sound asleep,but Darry was in the armchair under the lamp,reading the newspaper. I turned to Jasmine who was as white as a ghost. "Jasmine,you can wait outside if you want" I said. "No,no,it's fine,am just more worried that something well happen to you" said Jasmine. "Am sure everything will be fine,I think" I said. She calm down a little bit but still looked nervous. At least she's not as white as a ghost anymore. I gulped,and opened the door softly. Darry looked up from his newspaper. He was on his feet in a second. I stood there,chewing on my fingernails. "Where the heck have you been? Do you have any idea what time it is?" Darry asked. He was madder than I've seen him in a long time. I shook my head wordlessly. "Well, it's two in the morning,kiddo. Another hour and I would have had the police out after you. Where were you,Ponyboy? Where is the almighty universe were you?" Darry asked as his voice was rising. I looked over at Jasmine,I don't even think Darry even noticed her. At least I don't think so. "I....I went to sleep in the lot...." I said. "You what?!" Darry shouted. Sodapop sat up and rubbed his eyes. "Hey Ponyboy,where you been?" Soda asked sleepily. "I didn't mean to. I was talking to Johnny and Jasmine and we both dropped off...." I said. "I reckon it never occurred to you that you brothers might be worrying their heads off and afraid to call the police because something like that could get you thrown in a boy's home so fast it'd make your head spin. And you were asleep in the lot? Ponyboy,what on earth is the matter with you? Can't you use your head? You haven't even got a coat on" said Darry. I felt hot tears of anger and frustration riding. "I said I didn't mean to...." I said. "I didn't mean to! I didn't think! I forgot! That's all I hear out of you! Can't you think of anything?" Darry yelled and I almost shook. "Darry...."You keep your trap shut! I'm tired of hearing you stick up for him!" Darry yelled interrupting Soda. He should never yell at Soda. Nobody should holler at my brother. "You don't yell at him!" I yelled. Darry wheeled around and slapped me so hard that it knocked me against the door. Suddenly it was quiet. We had all frozen. Nobody in my family had ever hit me. Darry looked at the palm of his hand where it had turned red and looked back at me. "Ponyboy...." Darry put in. I turned and ran out the door with Jasmine close behind me. I ran as fast as I could. "Pony,I didn't mean to!" Darry yelled. I was at the lot by then and pretended I couldn't hear. It was plain to me that Darry didn't want me around. And I wouldn't stay if he did. "Johnny,come on,we're running away" I said. Johnny rolled over and jumped up almost under my feet. Johnny asked no questions. We ran several blocks until we were out of breath. Then we walked. I was crying by then. Johnny sat down beside me with one hand on my shoulder. "Easy,Ponyboy,we'll be okay" said Johnny. I finally calmed down and wiped my eyes. "Gotta cigarette?" I asked. Johnny handed me one. "Johnny,I'm scared" I said. "We'll,don't be. Your scaring me. What happened? I never seen you bawl like that" Johnny asked. "I don't very often. It was Darry. He hit me. I don't know what happened,but I couldn't take him hollering at me and hitting me too. I don't know.... sometimes we get along okay,then all of a sudden he blows up on me or else nagging at me all the time. He didn't use to be like that....we used to get along....before Mom and Dad died. Now he can't stand me" I said. "I think I like it better when my old man's hitting me. At least then I know he knows who I am. I walk in the house,and nobody says anything. I stay away all night,and nobody notices. At least you got Soda. I ain't got nobody" said Johnny. "Shoot,you got the whole gang. Dally didn't slug you tonight cause you're the pet. I mean,golly,Johnny,you got the whole gang" I said. "It ain't the same having your own folks care about you. It just ain't the same" said Johnny. I was beginning to relax and wonder if running away was such a good idea. I was sleepy and freezing to death and I wanted to be home in bed,safe and warm under the covers with Soda's arm over me. I decided I would go home and just not speak to Darry. "Let's walk to the park and back. Then maybe I'll be cooled off enough to go home" I said. "Okay" Johnny said. Things got to get better,I figured. They couldn't get worse. I was wrong.

Hey guys! Sorry if this chapter was a little to long. I just didn't want to make a part 2. I liked this chapter though. I wasn't expecting it to be this long though. I hope you guys liked it. Stay Gold